GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which brake rotor brand is better for track use?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
As others have mentioned, your rotors look fine.

As far as other suggestions, for rotors I have used the stock VW rotors or OEM replacement with zero issues since I bought the car. ~10-12 track days per year + 15K DD. The biggest issues I have had to address is pads/fluid. After 3 years with DS2500's and loving them, I have had to switch to higher temp Ferodo DS 3.12 Front and 1.11 rear which have been fantastic. DS 2500's were starting to give up the ghost at the end of long warm sessions after going to stickier tires (Cup2's, Falken 660's) and also pushing later and later braking. I don't think FCP carries the pads, but as you mentioned, you can get the lifetime warranty on the stock rotors.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

As far as other suggestions, for rotors I have used the stock VW rotors or OEM replacement with zero issues since I bought the car. ~10-12 track days per year + 15K DD. The biggest issues I have had to address is pads/fluid. After 3 years with DS2500's and loving them, I have had to switch to higher temp Ferodo DS 3.12 Front and 1.11 rear which have been fantastic. DS 2500's were starting to give up the ghost at the end of long warm sessions after going to stickier tires (Cup2's, Falken 660's) and also pushing later and later braking. I don't think FCP carries the pads, but as you mentioned, you can get the lifetime warranty on the stock rotors.
FCP Euro does sell brake pads.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volkswagen-parts/GTI/Brake-Pads/?year=2018&m=49&e=975&t=11&b=8&d=15430&v=

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

FCP does carry the DS2500's. Out of the rotors that they carry (ATE, OEM VW, and Zimmermann), which have you used, and which do you recommend? I would like to pick one of those, just so I can take advantage of the lifetime guarantee policy.

Last edited:

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
FCP does carry the DS2500's. Out of the rotors that they carry (ATE, OEM VW, and Zimmermann), which have you used, and which do you recommend? I would like to pick one of those, just so I can take advantage of the lifetime guarantee policy.
Sorry my message may have been confusing. I mentioned that I used to run DS2500 and now run DS3.12 and DS1.11's. I was talking about the new pads. I was not able to find them on FCP.

I've used VW OEM rotors in the past (Golf R).

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Sorry my message may have been confusing. I mentioned that I used to run DS2500 and now run DS3.12 and DS1.11's. I was talking about the new pads. I was not able to find them on FCP.

I've used VW OEM rotors in the past (Golf R).
Thanks, got it!
I think I will go with genuine VW then. They are a little more expensive, but it doesn't matter because of the generous warranty.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was with the understanding and I can't remember who posted it that rotors don't warp it's the brake pad deposits on the rotor that gives the feeling that the rotor is out of round. I have 2 piece rotors and after driving hundreds of miles I'll get that out of round side to side pulling of the steering wheel that suggests the rotors are out of round and just do a couple of very hard stops like you would when bedding in new pads and the out of round feeling is gone.

Some times rotors warp, sometimes it's pad deposits.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My my a little testy. I just posted an informational link I thought was interesting.

Not testy. You responded to my post. I'm just stating the facts. Without examining the rotor, you can't say one way or another.

Also, again, he isn't having issues with either on this car.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not testy. You responded to my post. I'm just stating the facts. Without examining the rotor, you can't say one way or another.

Also, again, he isn't hand issues with either on this car.
Right. The article explained all of that.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I’m racing on drilled FCP Euro Rotors and Yellowstuff pads on Wednesday. I’ll report back.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Also, again, he isn't hand issues with either on this car.
Thank you for trying to keep this post on topic. I know it can be difficult at times!
I literally just wanted to know which rotor (in peoples opinion) out of the 3 options at FCP, would hold up the best. I wanted it to be one of those 3, so I can get rotors and pads as needed without worrying about plunking down $450 each time! With their generous warranty, I'm probably only looking at $45 - $50 each time. It seems like a no brainer for me.