GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where's the sweet spot?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Mounts. BFI engine, transmission, and dogbone insert.

245 is too wide for an 8" wheel. 235 michelin's have a robust lip protecting the wheel on an 8" wheel. 245's would degrade performance due to compromised contact patch (sidewall no longer square, slightly angled outward from lip of wheel, as opposed to square/perpendicular)

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
245 is too wide for an 8" wheel. 235 michelin's have a robust lip protecting the wheel on an 8" wheel. 245's would degrade performance due to compromised contact patch (sidewall no longer square, slightly angled outward from lip of wheel, as opposed to square/perpendicular)

Appreciate that. Thanks. I'll keep searching tirerack for a good deal on stick 235s

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If I wanted to run an is38 with an EQT tune on only 93 on a GTI, would I need to upgrade the HPFP or is the stock pump fine? I think I would be near 380 HP and that feels like a good stopping point for me. No E in my area so it doesn’t make sense to go hybrid turbo.

That's my plan come springtime. I don't want to dick around with fueling, and no E close by. Closest I know of is half an hour away. Stay with stock fueling, put on an IS38, and grab an EQT pro tune.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Meh, I ran 245's on a 7.5. I get the theory, but from actually testing I can tell you that 245 on a 7.5 or 8 inch rim will still have more grip that a narrower tire on the same rim. What you lose is a little bit of feed back.

This is 245 on 7.5.

20191005_101443.jpg
20180726_165827.jpg

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
What mods are the most helpful in putting the power down? Obviously tires. I will good the best tires I can, and probably do 245 width (I have 8" wide wheels)

Mounts. BFI engine, transmission, and dogbone insert.

Mounts are the first thing you should upgrade. Since SuperPro no longer makes mounts for our platform, the next best would be BFI. After that, stickier/better tires and upgrade your suspension.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Why do people come on this forum and try to say that anything other than stock is unreliable? It's such an asinine viewpoint.