GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where's the sweet spot?

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
also my car puts down 480whp with michelin p4s tires fwd GTI DSG with open differential (not performance pack) without any issue on stock suspension, 1st/2nd gear require less than full throttle and COBB traction control but WOT 3rd gear hooks up solid.

once you start messing with the fuel system these cars get way less reliable though, and when you have fuel system failures you can blow up motors. The thing with ~380-400whp on E40 or whatever mix fuel is that you can do it with stock Low Pressure fuel pump and stock direct injectors and only requires an autotech high pressure fuel pump so it keeps the car so much more simple and reliable,

fwiw I made my 480 through the stock GTI exhaust other than MAperformance downpipe, so the car is super quiet

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Guys, I appreciate the responses. All of them.

I certainly didn't intend to start a fight on here, but I wanted to hear a variety of opinions and experiences.

I think I'm going to continue to work towards the is38. I feel like being up at altitude here in Colorado and being on 91 with a 91 octane tune, ill be making about as little power as any is38 car out there. Being the least powerful is38 might also be the most reliable one!

What has everyone payed for the install? I know it's pretty time consuming. I say GTIJake say it took him upwards of 8 hours. That surprised me a bit. Im too crappy of a mechanic to do it myself, so I will pay my local performance vw shop.

Btw, arguing over these cars being performance cars or not is petty silly. We all know they can be very fast, but they also aren't GT3 Cup cars. Driving skill matters more anyhow. I've been track driving for many years and have easily 40+ track days. I've seen it all. I've passed 911 turbos, and other super fast cars and then I've been beaten by stock miatas.

I will also say that one of these GTIs with 350whp is HILARIOUS and they are awesome sleepers and great street cars. I think a 350whp is38 GTI will last a long long time if tuned properly (I recommend EQT and COBB)

I had EQT do my install and they got I think 4-5 hours and there were a few snags on my install since my DV was messed up

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
also my car puts down 480whp with michelin p4s tires fwd GTI DSG with open differential (not performance pack) without any issue on stock suspension, 1st/2nd gear require less than full throttle and COBB traction control but WOT 3rd gear hooks up solid.

once you start messing with the fuel system these cars get way less reliable though, and when you have fuel system failures you can blow up motors. The thing with ~380-400whp on E40 or whatever mix fuel is that you can do it with stock Low Pressure fuel pump and stock direct injectors and only requires an autotech high pressure fuel pump so it keeps the car so much more simple and reliable,

fwiw I made my 480 through the stock GTI exhaust other than MAperformance downpipe, so the car is super quiet

Agree here with not going much past the HPFP but think a Votex or XL on pump with HPFP will put you in the 400-450 whp range and be reliable.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
If I wanted to run an is38 with an EQT tune on only 93 on a GTI, would I need to upgrade the HPFP or is the stock pump fine? I think I would be near 380 HP and that feels like a good stopping point for me. No E in my area so it doesn’t make sense to go hybrid turbo.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If I wanted to run an is38 with an EQT tune on only 93 on a GTI, would I need to upgrade the HPFP or is the stock pump fine? I think I would be near 380 HP and that feels like a good stopping point for me. No E in my area so it doesn’t make sense to go hybrid turbo.
Stock HPFP is fine.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

Probably closer to 360HP in reality but yes - 93 octane tune on stock fueling is not only an option, it is what the vast majority of people upgrading to IS38 do. Only the people who want “that much more” are going down the fueling route, as that adds significant expense while reducing overall reliability.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I do not have access to E85. And in Colorado I'm stuck with only 91 octane.

I really appreciate the responses.

What mods are the most helpful in putting the power down? Obviously tires. I will good the best tires I can, and probably do 245 width (I have 8" wide wheels)

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I do not have access to E85. And in Colorado I'm stuck with only 91 octane.

I really appreciate the responses.

What mods are the most helpful in putting the power down? Obviously tires. I will good the best tires I can, and probably do 245 width (I have 8" wide wheels)
I’d say reducing power in first and second will help a lot