GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where is this paradise?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'd toss out FL just because of our roads. They're boring as hell. Flat and straight every where you go. Miami is way too crowded.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn

Eastern Shore of Maryland. Kent Narrows is nice.

How's the winter in that part of the US? I don't mind rain, but I'm absolutely sick and tired of freezing in the dark, chiselling ice off my car, etc. I want to ride motorcycles year 'round, but I'd settle for 10 months, if I spent 1 of those 2 off months someplace warmer LOL.

The size of your boat is important information where you go. Most marinas have their own special rules as far as "living on your boat" goes, some only two weeks, some allow extended time and charge more. Pitfalls everywhere, and you need to know before you go. Miami, Corpus Christi, San Diego, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland is also beautiful, but possibly too close to freezing sometimes.

I'm generally familiar with the nuances of live-aboard marinas; I've been dreaming of and studying this life for several years. It will be 40-45', because that's about as big a boat as can be sailed single-handed in sporty weather unless you're talking about a $1Million yacht with power furling and electric winches. Even then, if you get into trouble with your rigging, the sails are AWFUL big to handle on a bigger boat. The biggest part of this actual dreamer's dream is to go all the way around, alone. I want to be in 40' seas in the Southern Ocean alone at night more than I've wanted anything in my life. The place to settle down probably comes after, If I survive LOL.

Here you go. Friendly people, low cost of living, interesting roads, good food, decent weather, close to decent medical.

Lots of places around the Med and Adriatic are viable for sure, Croatia is particularly cheap and I have friends there.

I'd have to say a place like SanDiego.

Definitely check out San Diego. No idea how much it would cost to live on a boat there tho

The last time I was in San Diego was as a teenager, but I remember liking it more than LA. SF also has a big sailing community, but I've never been there yet.

cb1111

How's the winter in that part of the US? I don't mind rain, but I'm absolutely sick and tired of freezing in the dark, chiselling ice off my car, etc. I want to ride motorcycles year 'round, but I'd settle for 10 months, if I spent 1 of those 2 off months someplace warmer LOL.

MD has winter-like conditions from December to March'ish

I'm generally familiar with the nuances of live-aboard marinas; I've been dreaming of and studying this life for several years. It will be 40-45', because that's about as big a boat as can be sailed single-handed in sporty weather unless you're talking about a $1Million yacht with power furling and electric winches. Even then, if you get into trouble with your rigging, the sails are AWFUL big to handle on a bigger boat. The biggest part of this actual dreamer's dream is to go all the way around, alone. I want to be in 40' seas in the Southern Ocean alone at night more than I've wanted anything in my life. The place to settle down probably comes after, If I survive LOL.

Lots of places around the Med and Adriatic are viable for sure, Croatia is particularly cheap and I have friends there.

Croatia is nice

The last time I was in San Diego was as a teenager, but I remember liking it more than LA. SF also has a big sailing community, but I've never been there yet.
Not a fan of northern California. See my comments in bold above

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

I grew up and lived in California for 27 years before moving out a couple years ago. San Diego is the only part I miss. Never been sailing but the beaches are beautiful and there's plenty of amazing canyon roads around

Turbongr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7

I grew up in the Bay Area but lived all over the country and it real hard to beat that region for riding. All of Ca North of SF has GREAT riding and it's very easy to ride year round. It also only takes a few hours to get to the mountains that have amazing riding basically from SoCal to Oregon. Taking 1 down south from SF is no slouch either...just less options. You should definitely check out Northern California before deciding. I prefer riding to driving and miss it a lot.

I brought up Thailand because of the riding there but NorCal is a very close second.

But don't say NorCal

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Maine is too cold unless you like winter. Living in Southern CT anywhere north of here is too cold and I believe you need to go below VA to get affordable. I lived in the south and wasn't really a fan. I have no clue on northern west coast but I did vacation there and loved it.

Islands you want to stay at tend to be expensive and can be a hassle cause island.

I spent a week in Spain when I was in Navy and that was one of the few places besides US I would consider living. Australia/NZ? At least you'll kinda speak the language.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Love the different takes so far, thanks.

Nobody here representing the Gulf Coast? TX, LA, AL, MS? I had meant to tour around the Southern states in late '19 on my bike before heading down to Baja, but I couldn't get out of Canada before the snow was on the ground (project ran long), and then 2020 happened... you know.

cb1111

Love the different takes so far, thanks.

Nobody here representing the Gulf Coast? TX, LA, AL, MS? I had meant to tour around the Southern states in late '19 on my bike before heading down to Baja, but I couldn't get out of Canada before the snow was on the ground (project ran long), and then 2020 happened... you know.
I'm a huge fan of LA, but there are far too many weather events

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i'd say stay away from the coast unless you plan on moving one day when your backyard disappears under ocean level rise or a hurricane. and sell well before that happens or your property value will become nil