GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where is the trip information stored

CFB_GTA

Passed Driver's Ed
Wondering if an ecu was changed on a car, would the trip computer be reset? Fuel economy data be reset? Radio and phone settings reset?

If all those settings are stored in different subsystems, what would be an obvious change someone could notice IF an ECU was changed (except the key fob kessy settings)?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes the trip odometer and fuel economy would be reset but the media center settings would remain.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know about that. I just know that if the battery is disconnected it erases the trip odometer and fuel mileage info. Sounds like they didn't disconnect your battery when yours was replaced.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
From previous experience in a ram truck, odometer stuff was saved in the gauge cluster. I forgot who the company was that could adjust it to match what you originally had in the car if you upgraded to the color info screen.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
To get the new or used ECU to work, the immobilizer would need to be set up with a connection to the VW mothership and the VIN is then associated with the new ECU when programmed and stored in FAZIK the VW database. It can be done by a dealer or anyone who has a VW account authorized by VW to do this type of work.
Info on immobilizer: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/inde...ion_is_required_for_Immobilizer_Procedures.3F
Information on ECU swap. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/need-new-ecu-help.362029/page-4
So as stated no trip, or phone setting, etc would be unchanged, but the obvious change would be the new ECU being stored in VW database.

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Wondering if an ecu was changed on a car, would the trip computer be reset? Fuel economy data be reset? Radio and phone settings reset?

If all those settings are stored in different subsystems, what would be an obvious change someone could notice IF an ECU was changed (except the key fob kessy settings)?
It's stored in the instrument cluster.