GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where Does The Garage Door Clicker Go?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I keep it in the sunglass holder. The remote slightly bigger than the key. I’ve never noticed it rattling. You can always use some felt in the holder.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
1653511321444.png

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
There have been posts on using an adding a button at stick shift button location and wiring to your gutted garage door opener and stashing guts in area under stick shift. Easy and clean retrofit.

I purchased a VW mirror that had Homelink (programmable garage door button).

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
I installed a new garage door opener last weekend and the new remote is tiny compared to the old unit.

The old unit fit nicely in my sunglasses holder and was out of sight that way. But, the new one is so much smaller, it would rattle around in the sunglass holder. I don't want to carry it on my keychain.

So, where does everyone keep their garage door clicker?

Thanks, Bob.
Do you use the sun-glass holder for actual glasses? If not get some thick foam and cut to shape of sun-glass compartment, then cut out the shape of the remote. The foam will hold the remote in place.

IMG20220525185941.jpg

Last edited:

cb1111

If you park your car outside then you'll not want to leave your opener in an obvious location (cup holder, visor etc.) as that will give someone access to your house.

Get a set of that velcro like stuff that is made to hold ez-pass to the windshield. that stuff won't lose stickiness if it gets real hot.

Stick it somewhere where it isn't obvious (under the seat, passenger side of the center console etc. - use your imagination)

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I removed the clip from the back of the remote and applied the hook side of Velcro tape. It sticks securely to the carpet at the front of the door pocket.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If you park your car outside then you'll not want to leave your opener in an obvious location (cup holder, visor etc.) as that will give someone access to your house.

Get a set of that velcro like stuff that is made to hold ez-pass to the windshield. that stuff won't lose stickiness if it gets real hot.

Stick it somewhere where it isn't obvious (under the seat, passenger side of the center console etc. - use your imagination)

I always worry about this and when i park outside, i take it off the visor and stash it out of sight or even just take it out completely

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I always worry about this and when i park outside, i take it off the visor and stash it out of sight or even just take it out completely
And this is why a homelink mirror is the better option. Only works with ignition on. Someone breaks in unless they Hotwire the car or use a kessy repeater they are not opening your garage door.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Set up a smart house. Get the proper peripheral for the garage motor. Or just get a myQ

then tell Siri or google or Alexa to close it and open it

works for me. Plus its a flex to say hey Siri open the garage in front of others too lol

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Set up a smart house. Get the proper peripheral for the garage motor. Or just get a myQ

then tell Siri or google or Alexa to close it and open it

works for me. But if a flex to say hey Siri open the garage in front of others too lol
It works ok. Issue I have is an update a few months back was causing my garage to go offline almost every day. It seems fixed lately but was an issue for a while.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Visor for me.
Reach up and push the button when approaching or leaving the garage.
As for it leaving a mark if removed, I'm not going to remove it 'till I get rid of the car.