GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where do you put your phone to be used as a satnav

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I use a USB c cable (had to get a much better one as the flimsy one I used before was too slow) and plug the phone into the console. From there I just use the android auto app from the Google play store. There's an initial setup once you plug it in where you can't be moving, but after that it's plug and play. Carries over waze, Google maps, Pandora, YouTube music, Spotify, calls/texts, and Google assistant. I use Google assistant all the time from the car to set thermostat at home, turn off lights I've missed, notify my wife I'm almost home, set navigation, etc.

I'm a much bigger fan of the android interface than the car play one, but car play has come a loooong way. It was once unusably bad, and today it's pretty not bad! :)

starfield

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6L tdi
I assume you have a different head unit to mine. I don't have a USB in the cubby, I have an MDI instead and you cannot do much with it.

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
If there is interest, I have an extra phone mount identical to the one I linked. Still happy with mine. Extra is for sale if anyone wants to give it a try. $15 plus shipping. Local pickup in Chester county PA.

starfield

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6L tdi
I eventually settled for this one; it's somewhat bulky but doesn't hinder any lights or vents

Attachments

• IMG_20210219_120731296_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210219_120731296_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 84