GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When will the MK8 Golf R and GTI be available in the USA?

cu29640

When will the MK8 Golf R and GTI be available in the USA? My lease ends in June but I would not want a new GTI or R only to have a model on the way out. Nor do I want a new model the first week it is available as thats always trouble.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
We will not get the new GTI or R until at least 2021 or even 2022 and being that the cars will have already been around in Europe for a year or two by then, you aren't technically getting a first year generation. Rs had been out for 2 years before we got them. I have a 2015—first 500— and had no problems.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
We will not get the new GTI or R until at least 2021 or even 2022 and being that the cars will have already been around in Europe for a year or two by then, you aren't technically getting a first year generation. Rs had been out for 2 years before we got them. I have a 2015—first 500— and had no problems.

Why is VW so slow to bring the new models to the US?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Why is VW so slow to bring the new models to the US?
My guess is because they're not as popular here as in Europe, plus there are different federal regulations here they have to comply with, and they make changes to the cars to also make them more affordable (cheapen) in the US

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My guess is because they're not as popular here as in Europe, plus there are different federal regulations here they have to comply with, and they make changes to the cars to also make them more affordable (cheapen) in the US

Sounds like a logical guess to me.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
You are right on the cheapen part. Awhile back, I spec'd a 2018 R about as close as I could to the US cars on the VW.de site and it came out to 55,000 Euros !

iceorbital

Passed Driver's Ed
Given this time around there are no base golfs for the US, I anticipate the GTIs to come earlier. Rumors suggest late 2020 as a 2021 model

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Lol, ALWAYS? where is the data to back that up? ?

I always had this attitude too, let the manufacturers work out the kinks the first few production years of a new model. Never really looked it up to confirm it before so here you go (5-second google search) https://www.consumerreports.org/car...et-the-most-reliable-new-car-it-pays-to-wait/
45%
THE PERCENTAGE OF NEW OR REDESIGNED VEHICLES IN OUR 2019 SURVEY WITH BELOW-AVERAGE PREDICTED RELIABILITY; 33 PERCENT HAD ABOVE-AVERAGE PREDICTIONS, AND 22 PERCENT WERE AVERAGE.

Tbh I'm not that much of a Consumer Reports fan but that's all I could really find on the topic. Another thing to consider as well- you can't usually get discounts at the start of a production model opposed to near the end. I got an instant $5,000+ off my 2017 because it was right before the 7.5's were coming out

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Lol, ALWAYS? where is the data to back that up? ?

Manufacturers cannot simulate and validate every real world test case during development.

I have seen warranty data for different automotive products across manufacturers and i would never buy any vehicle in its first MY.

15S3

Ready to race!
The rationale for waiting a yr or 2 on a new model had more validity years ago when manufacturers made virtually no changes/tweaks within a model year run. Now days, for example, my 2015 S3 was built near the end of the model year and the turbo had already been through 3 or 4 revisions and I believe the same was true for the haldex unit.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The rationale for waiting a yr or 2 on a new model had more validity years ago when manufacturers made virtually no changes/tweaks within a model year run. Now days, for example, my 2015 S3 was built near the end of the model year and the turbo had already been through 3 or 4 revisions and I believe the same was true for the haldex unit.

Look at the 19 models that are having the stalling problems.

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
"The MK8 GTI and R 2022 models arriving in CA/US in Summer 2021. The last year for the MK7 R is the 2019."

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R

I'd still wait. In late 2014, when I took delivery of my 2015 GTI (first year in Canada), it sucked knowing the 2016s and later would have the PP diff and brakes, and CarPlay.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
As the mk8 will (excluding asia) be made only in Wolfsburg I’d think it will roll out to North America quicker than the previous generations!