GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When to replace the battery in the key ?

Bailey

Car(s)
Golf MKVII 2018
At what intervalls should i replace the cr2032 batteries in the key ?
and do i get any warning when the battery are crap, any message in the display or something like that ?

Car in topic is a Golf 2018 with 40'kms

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. Yes you will get a warning. I don't know how long the battery last after the warning. I just replace mine yearly before I get the warning. Mine takes a CR2025 battery and I've read that some guys manage to get a CR2032 battery into the fob but I couldn't.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Same here, replace yearly whether the warning pops up on the MFD or not. CR2025 also.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
CR2025 is the correct size but some jam in a CR2032 without issue. If your car is letting you know the battery is low its time to replace it, or if it doesnt open the door consistently.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've never seen the low battery light despite the fob being on its 3rd battery now.

I would replace it yearly, since that seems to be about how long it lasts.

I've had the battery die in the second fob too, despite it never being used and only sitting in my house. I keep the second fob without a battery in it now since it defeats the purpose if they both have dead batteries.

Bailey

Car(s)
Golf MKVII 2018
Thanks
it was a CR2032 battery in the key when i opened it, absolutly no problems to fit a new one

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Recently had the low battery alert display, so before going to town I installed a new battery I had purchased in case needed. Car started ok and drove to town. But once out of car I touched door handle to lock but.......
once I tried to unlock, it would not. Dead. I had to pop keyhole cover to get it. Luckily the store had the right battery which I changed at counter. No issues since. Buy new batteries and from a good source. Buy best brand you can.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
I do mine every 18 months. My first one made it 20 months so I made a calendar event and now just have it repeat every 18 months as I don't want to get caught with it not working. Especially if it is cold outside the battery will be weaker due to temps.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Recently had the low battery alert display, so before going to town I installed a new battery I had purchased in case needed. Car started ok and drove to town. But once out of car I touched door handle to lock but.......
once I tried to unlock, it would not. Dead. I had to pop keyhole cover to get it. Luckily the store had the right battery which I changed at counter. No issues since. Buy new batteries and from a good source. Buy best brand you can.
I too have had weirdness with batteries. It is fussy about some. Note bolded above and if folks have not done this (or only 1x) do it in daylight at your own house to practice this. it's not hard but at night in the rain you'll be glad you have practiced it b4.

Mud

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I always keep a spare battery in the glovebox, and another in my wallet, so if the one in the key fob dies unexpectedly, then hopefully I won’t get caught out.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I always keep a spare battery in the glovebox, and another in my wallet, so if the one in the key fob dies unexpectedly, then hopefully I won’t get caught out.

Same about the glove box. I use it until it starts giving me issues, but have a spare battery in the car if it's needed.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
My battery lasts about 12 to 18 months depending on the fob. If you have the extra range registry entry enabled, the battery tends to die faster. Also if your unused fob is close to the car it will die sooner. Some people buy cases for the fob that cut off radio waves, but you could always drop the second one in a lead box or cover with aluminum foil.

My warning for low battery in the dash always comes on months before the key actually dies. Most of the time my wife's key (second gti key) dies at 18 or so mo from less use and because she takes it out of the car's range daily while I don't.

Both our audi and vw keys die super fast compared to any fob I've had before.