GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When does turbo operate on MK7 Gti?

GTi..FTW!

Ready to race!
Hey guys. Pretty straightforward question.

1. From a standstill, under the most economical accelerating conditions, any idea when the turbo kicks in? From what speed or rpm?
2. I assume there's a wastegate actuator for the mk7 gti and was wondering if it's electronically controlled to remain open at low speed and low rpm, at first and second gears.

I'm trying to isolate an engine rattle noise on my car, which was quite common on the mk6s and was an easy fix - installing a clip on the wastegate actuator rod.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
There is no fix for the wastegate rattle on the mk7's. Few threads on the subject.

If it sound like "a chain being dragged at a distance" at low rpm's, there is nothing you can do about it.

Some have said replacing the downpipe removed the noise. But it's not 100% across the board.

CTaiani

Ready to race!
If this is the noise I'm thinking about, it happens when I downshift sometimes, or even occasionally shift in lower gears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
No fix. It is considered normal behavior.*

*=from dealers and VW looking at the noise.

The noise is really really really really quiet and usually only heard when everything is off. If your noise is loud and you can hear it over music and normal driving, it might be more serious.

GTi..FTW!

Ready to race!
thanks. so i tested a couple of other gtis out and didn't notice the noise. personally, i can't accept a normal noise for a $ 40k car...when my 2009 corolla is still clean as clean can be..

i guess the most i can ask for is if any American colleagues, facing the same issue, push for a fix. VW seem to get their delicates all up in a bunch at the thought of an American complaint. #emissionscandal. :p

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
thanks. so i tested a couple of other gtis out and didn't notice the noise. personally, i can't accept a normal noise for a $ 40k car...when my 2009 corolla is still clean as clean can be..

i guess the most i can ask for is if any American colleagues, facing the same issue, push for a fix. VW seem to get their delicates all up in a bunch at the thought of an American complaint. #emissionscandal. :p

Your corolla doesn't have a turbo, you're talking about a piece when in a certain rpm isn't fully open, or fully closed so you're gonna have some play. It's mechanical, So either put your foot to the floor and turn up your radio.......