GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When do you typically change spark plugs?

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
True, but your 1.8T is a 1.8L engine with a Turbo strapped to it. So I would assume the advice would still stand, but could be wrong. I just noticed 1.8 at 40k in my book and figured for under a hundred bucks I wouldn't complain about swapping them.
Not complaining or anything I asked for suggestions and to each to their own and those who didnt tune shit to car as well i assume it lasts longer vs tuned cars...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
no idea where you got from when I asked about plugs that its tune in any way???
Misinterpreted the subject overall, so there you go. if you're stock, just do what the owners manual says...why would it be different? I think those that are stock and HAD to swap plugs earlier had something else going on

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Misinterpreted the subject overall, so there you go. if you're stock, just do what the owners manual says...why would it be different? I think those that are stock and HAD to swap plugs earlier had something else going on
I dont know lol thats why I am asking y'll on here if you own my specific car or know infinite info on my cars maintenance as this is my first car anyways on my own dealing with all of this stuff not easy being a woman knowing and learning infinite knowledge to maintain car for years to come and not be like my stupid family who change absolutely nothing as they drive jeep, honda civics and solara Toyota so nothing compared to german/mexican built cars.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I dont know lol thats why I am asking y'll on here if you own my specific car or know infinite info on my cars maintenance as this is my first car anyways on my own dealing with all of this stuff not easy being a woman knowing and learning infinite knowledge to maintain car for years to come and not be like my stupid family who change absolutely nothing as they drive jeep, honda civics and solara Toyota so nothing compared to german/mexican built cars.
Ahhh....family that don't do any mainenance and drive their cars into the dirt....yeah....I have that issue too, hence why I've never bought their cars when they offered them to me...lol. Honestly, you would have no reason to change the plugs early (than what the owners manual says) UNLESS you have misfires or one catastrophically fails (rare)

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I have some family that own Toyota's, don't do anything outside of oil changes, have over 160k on original spark plugs, and still take long road trips. 🧐

Both our cars just are either right around 50k or slightly above. I will be doing spark plugs on both in the coming weeks. It is cheap and easy preventative maintenance.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Ahhh....family that don't do any mainenance and drive their cars into the dirt....yeah....I have that issue too, hence why I've never bought their cars when they offered them to me...lol. Honestly, you would have no reason to change the plugs early (than what the owners manual says) UNLESS you have misfires or one catastrophically fails (rare)
Yeah haha they are all fucked in the head and believe dealer that you dont change anything itsnlife warranty like transmission and to rarely do oil either bs.

So ill do it at like 100, 000 km along with my timing belt too and that should be it as far as parts to change in 1000s of km to come.

As you know when you buy something brand new 32.5 thousand dollars (financed) with your own money you will take care of it no matter what.

But unfortunately like my older brother with his honda civic of whatever he leased and parents with jeep (financed) and toyota solara (owned years ago but nothing maintained) they all follow dealer nonsense and go to cheap shady bullshit places.

I only take my car to vw approved mechanic never random mechanics that have disgusting shops as where I go to is spotless clean although might be a bit more expensive but hes reliable.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Just a recommendation.......if you're not getting the work done under warranty or VWcare......watch youtube and you can do them yourself for under $50 (sourced from NGK). Rachet, extension and socket would be all you need.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah haha they are all fucked in the head and believe dealer that you dont change anything itsnlife warranty like transmission and to rarely do oil either bs.

So ill do it at like 100, 000 km along with my timing belt too and that should be it as far as parts to change in 1000s of km to come.

As you know when you buy something brand new 32.5 thousand dollars (financed) with your own money you will take care of it no matter what.

But unfortunately like my older brother with his honda civic of whatever he leased and parents with jeep (financed) and toyota solara (owned years ago but nothing maintained) they all follow dealer nonsense and go to cheap shady bullshit places.

I only take my car to vw approved mechanic never random mechanics that have disgusting shops as where I go to is spotless clean although might be a bit more expensive but hes reliable.

You don't have a timing belt FYI.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
True yeah as I said i did read what you guys suggested but are spark plugs that important to change every so often like that guy that suggested every 10 to 15 k miles? I mean i can run a video too of how my car sounds upon starting does that help with me needing new ones yet or?

No you don't need to change your plugs that often. Every 40,000 miles is fine. I change mine so often because of my mods.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Just a recommendation.......if you're not getting the work done under warranty or VWcare......watch youtube and you can do them yourself for under $50 (sourced from NGK). Rachet, extension and socket would be all you need.
Yeah will see will tell my bf to check it out