GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When do you typically change spark plugs?

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Who reads the books? Joking aside replace the spark plugs anyway it wont hurt anything and may improve fuel mileage and running conditions at this point. If you take a video of the noises you hear, post it online and we might be able to help.
Yeah i will

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Stage 2 here, so I comfortably change them every 10-15k....as mentioned above...cheap maintenance
Its not about cheaping out or anything its just hear say at this point you guys all have different opinions im not saying i dc about your suggestions but the point is are your suggestions correct or what booklet states at 120 k km as i attached some photos.

As to change them is expensive in terms of a mechanic labour cost not actual part itself.

Also, the specialized vw mechanic i called yesterday even him hes like between 90k km to 100k km while dealer obviously says never to change them unless ur car fails.

Trust me here in Ontario, Canada they are assholes if you want to change something before what they think is right of when to change something they wont do it.

For example, when I changed my transmission fluid entirely flushed and put new one in at around 68 k km, every mechanic I called refused to do it and said no dealer says life time warranty so absolutely not, even the specialized approved vw mechanic shop he was like but why ur car is new still who cares not anytime soon as my car isnt DSG.

So trust me even if i want to change it earlier whatever component than expected mechanics here are bitches they all suck dealers balls.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Its not about cheaping out or anything its just hear say at this point you guys all have different opinions im not saying i dc about your suggestions but the point is are your suggestions correct or what booklet states at 120 k km as i attached some photos.
Let's look at this another way. Once you mod, especially when it comes to tuning the ECU, do you think you really still fall under the OEM recommendations? I personally don't think so. VW never wrote their instructions with tuning in mind. No way spark plugs last 120km on a heavily tuned ECU

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Just saw on this page where the 1.4 and 1.8 and 2.0 are listed under spark plugs:
1600367617235.png

Other than that, the next mention is the 120k service for me where it's a blanket replace the spark plugs regardless of engine statement too.

rallymaniac555

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S MT
Like I said before, spark plug replacement is really there as a preventative maintenance. Since the longevity of the spark plug itself is well over 90k miles, the preventative maintenance is there to ensure that you can actually get the plugs out before they seize to the head. By changing them earlier than the life of the part would suggest, you are preventing more costly repair at a relatively low cost of 4 new plugs.
Do it whenever you want, just no later than after 60k miles. Also, as suggested before, feel free to put them back in if you want. Or the best thing to do would be to just pull them out and inspect every 30k miles and replace at 90k.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Let's look at this another way. Once you mod, especially when it comes to tuning the ECU, do you think you really still fall under the OEM recommendations? I personally don't think so. VW never wrote their instructions with tuning in mind. No way spark plugs last 120km on a heavily tuned ECU
my car is stock af what are you talking about? I only wrapped taillights, changed headlights to LED as well as every bulb interior wise also led, nice exhaust tips not screwing with exhaust sound or anything and installed hitch I have never tuned or touched shit on car in regards to anything under the hood just miscellaneous things...so no idea where you got from when I asked about plugs that its tune in any way???

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Like I said before, spark plug replacement is really there as a preventative maintenance. Since the longevity of the spark plug itself is well over 90k miles, the preventative maintenance is there to ensure that you can actually get the plugs out before they seize to the head. By changing them earlier than the life of the part would suggest, you are preventing more costly repair at a relatively low cost of 4 new plugs.
Do it whenever you want, just no later than after 60k miles. Also, as suggested before, feel free to put them back in if you want. Or the best thing to do would be to just pull them out and inspect every 30k miles and replace at 90k.
lol i dont use miles say in km haha and thanks for the suggestion