GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When do I put my summers on?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Hey everybody, this is actually my first time running two sets of rims, so when do I put my summers on. I live in CT and the weather has been pretty good in the low to mid 50s, some days reaching low 60s.

I’ve included a pic of the weather. Am I good to go, or should I keep the winter set on?

Attachments

• A15BFFD9-8478-43E1-9BEB-9A0754BE9BFC.jpeg
    A15BFFD9-8478-43E1-9BEB-9A0754BE9BFC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Summer tires aren't very grippy until at least 60f but down to 40f is fine as long as you drive mellow.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Whenever it stops freezing at night. Or if your tires have guidance on higher minimum temps, follow that. My PS4S say not to put load on them below 40F, for example.
To take it a bit farther, where you park at night is important.

I have the PS4S also but always park in a garage at night. In the winter my garage typically runs 15-20° warmer. So for me on a day with a 25° low 45° high, the tires pretty stay above that 40° threshold. The tire remains flexible enough to drive in the morning and the daytime temp has increased enough that getting home from work is not a problem. I never push the tires under those conditions knowing traction will be reduced due to the low temperatures but I don't have to worry about cracking. Because of this where I am I drive year round on the PS4S.

Now if I parked outside this would be considerably different as I would worry the tires possibly cracking and basically acting like hockey pucks.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Hey everybody, this is actually my first time running two sets of rims, so when do I put my summers on. I live in CT and the weather has been pretty good in the low to mid 50s, some days reaching low 60s.

I’ve included a pic of the weather. Am I good to go, or should I keep the winter set on?
See my post above. If the car is garage parked at night get them on already.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
I put them on when the overnight temps stay at or above 45°F

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Just general should mention it, some provinces here in Canada (possibly some northern states?) have winter tire requirements set by either insurance companies or the government, so that should probably be the first thing you should check.

Otherwise, my rule of thumb is that at night it doesn't drop below 5 C / 40 F.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Basically when lows don't go below 40 F. With that said, while 40 F is the number often thrown around your tires won't see damage unless it's much colder and they are stored/car sits on them when it's below 20 F. If you keep your car in a gargage and it's 35 out for example, you will be just fine driving around on them and if it's dry out, they will still do better than a winter tire w/r to stopping. I've driven on my 200s in the 30s back from the track in the rain and even then it wasn't an issue. I just put mine on a few weeks ago here in central VA.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
On a related note, can you store summer tires in the cold, if they are off the car and aired out?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
On a related note, can you store summer tires in the cold, if they are off the car and aired out?
Not really supposed to according to everything I read.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just go to tirerack.com and read some of the info they have. They talk about not storing them below freezing.