GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheels scratched from tire installation...

dsimons1187

Ready to race!
So I went in yesterday to get a set of new tires put on. I tried to inspect the wheels prior to leaving to check for any scratches, however there was a bunch of grease and crap on the wheel which made it difficult. Long story short, I went home to clean them and sure enough all 4 wheels have large scratches on them (OEM wheels). In retrospect, I should have taken pictures of all 4 wheels and showed the manager that they were pristine before the install. But hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. Any suggestions on how to go about speaking to the manager about this? I'm trying to avoid just getting into a full blown argument of me accusing them and they saying the scratches were already there because that is just going to go nowhere. Any suggestions from people that this may have happened to and the outcome would be greatly appreciated!

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
I always take pictures before and do a full clean there before I leave when I get tires done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Sorry, I think you're SOL. If you had shown the manager your pristine photos he would have probably told you to go elsewhere.

I do feel for you though. Some shops have older equipment that cannot handle large wheels or ultra-low-profile tires. I had a mechanic tell me as such. I didn't know it at the time, but since I knew him he was covering the wheels with tape first.

Here's what I do now. A new dealership (an uber-luxury brand) opened up about a half-hour from me. Since they have cars with more aggressive shoes than our lowly VW's they are used to working on them. And of course they have the latest equipment. I knew the service manager and asked if they would patch a nail for me and I couldn't be happier. A real mechanic did the repair and even asked me what pressure and torque I wanted. I guess that's the kind of service you get at a dealership that sells 6-figure cars. They're smart. It's not like the old days. They're more aggressive with their pricing. I'm going to buy a set of PSS's from them when I need tires and detailing And they charged the same as a VW dealer for the repair. Even if it was more, I value service more than my wallet.

I've said it before, but you might want to do what I do. Meet the person who's working on your car. Let them know it's your baby. And when you get outstanding service, tip well. Most of you would tell me I'm crazy, that I should get great service anyway. But the reality is, that's not the way it sometimes works at "low-line" dealers. You might think so, but VW is not a premium car line. Don't ask me how much I tip, you'll probably feel cheap.

Last edited:

dsimons1187

Ready to race!
If they're pretty specific, I'd think the service manager at the tire place will own up to it.

Where was the job done?

Yah that's what I'm hoping for because they are uniformed scratches. I'm not going to pretend I know how the equipment works to put on tires because I have never done that, but it looks like some type of roller on the face of the wheel about and inch down is what caused them. But I feel like it's going to be an uphill/pointless battle no matter...

dsimons1187

Ready to race!
Sorry, I think you're SOL. If you had shown the manager your pristine photos he would have probably told you to go elsewhere.

I do feel for you though. Some shops have older equipment that cannot handle large wheels or ultra-low-profile tires. I had a mechanic tell me as such. I didn't know it at the time, but since I knew him he was covering the wheels with tape first.

Here's what I do now. A new dealership (an uber-luxury brand) opened up about a half-hour from me. Since they have cars with more aggressive shoes than our lowly VW's they are used to working on them. And of course they have the latest equipment. I knew the service manager and asked if they would patch a nail for me and I couldn't be happier. A real mechanic did the repair and even asked me what pressure and torque I wanted. I guess that's the kind of service you get at a dealership that sells 6-figure cars. They're smart. It's not like the old days. They're more aggressive with their pricing. I'm going to buy a set of PSS's from them when I need tires and detailing And they charged the same as a VW dealer for the repair. Even if it was more, I value service more than my wallet.

I've said it before, but you might want to do what I do. Meet the person who's working on your car. Let them know it's your baby. And when you get outstanding service, tip well. Most of you would tell me I'm crazy, that I should get great service anyway. But the reality is, that's not the way it sometimes works at "low-line" dealers. You might think so, but VW is not a premium car line. Don't ask me how much I tip, you'll probably feel cheap.

Yup I kind of figured its going to be an uphill fight, but I'm sure going to try like hell to make them fix it.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie

Usually if you can prove it with photos they will pay to fix it. I know of 5 different of the major tire places that this has happened with no issues as long as you prove it. But best way to avoid is go to a place that has hunter road force balancing because then they have the latest hunter touch less mourning

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Costco tire center guy scratched my wheel (19" Pretoria) while removing the old weights. He used a screw driver and hit 6-8 different spots hard causing the damage down to the bare metal.
All I had to do was simply fill out the incident form and got a call from the claims agent (3rd party contractor for Costco), and they are taking my wheel/tire to the manufacture (VW) to get it repaired. They reserved a rental car from Enterprise for the duration of the repair and shipping back and forth as well.

mikej

Don't get me started! Had the same issue with Kaltire in Canada, put it down to lazy 'we are used to big trucks' fitters.. long and short of it after an email to head office they are sending them of for a complete recondition job, at their expense... all 4 wheels too, plus scratches where they layer them face down on gravel.... monkeys with spammers, I won't be going back next time...

dsimons1187

Ready to race!
Don't get me started! Had the same issue with Kaltire in Canada, put it down to lazy 'we are used to big trucks' fitters.. long and short of it after an email to head office they are sending them of for a complete recondition job, at their expense... all 4 wheels too, plus scratches where they layer them face down on gravel.... monkeys with spammers, I won't be going back next time...

EXACTLY what the scratches look like on mine. F*cking bush league stuff. I'm going in tomorrow to talk to the manager. Hopefully I will have a similar outcome as yours!

dsimons1187

Ready to race!
At least that looks like a pretty easy repair.

The wheel guy can probably blend those out lickety split.

Bright side? :eek:

Yah the scratches don't feel very deep so it should be an easy fix, that is it they even will have them refinished for me. Also bright side is the tires are outstanding so far, so it kinda takes my mind off it I guess...for now