GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wheels question

paddypool

Ready to race!
question for those in the know...

i'd like to get 17'' alloys for my soon to be ordered mk7.
however, in ROI specs, that means i'd have to get the sports susp. i find this
suspension too solid for my roads & adaptive chas. isn't available here:rolleyes:

SO > if i let the car come with stand. 16s is it ok to put 17s on? or is there an issue with hub distance &/or rubbing issues? dealer doesn't reccomend,so feedback appreciated!

burso

Ready to race!
Well, I am not a technician but I can't think of a reason why would you not be able to put 17"'s on your car with standard suspension. From my experience on any car I did not have any problems when upgrading wheels and going for an extra inch.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Why not order your car with 16" wheels and then look at wheel/tyre packages from elsewhere.

I recently bought a winter wheel/tyre package from MrWinterWheels.co.uk which is a subsidiary of AutomotiveWheels.co.uk who offer a superb range of alloys from various German brands such as Autec and Borbet, plus they supply most of the best brands of tyre.

paddypool

Ready to race!
that's what i'm trying to find out if that's ok to do Rob... I've done it before without even thinking about it, but the dealer is going on about how the new golf is lower, thus if I want 17'' wheels I'd have to get the sports suspension as per VW guidelines -
I test drove one on a sports suspension & it was far too harsh on my roads....
Really need to know if anyone on here has put on 17's without having a sports suspension & if there's any problems ??

Why not order your car with 16" wheels and then look at wheel/tyre packages from elsewhere.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Sorry Paddy, there I really can't help you - that's far too technical for a man of my lack of ability.

burso

Ready to race!
that's what i'm trying to find out if that's ok to do Rob... I've done it before without even thinking about it, but the dealer is going on about how the new golf is lower, thus if I want 17'' wheels I'd have to get the sports suspension as per VW guidelines -
I test drove one on a sports suspension & it was far too harsh on my roads....
Really need to know if anyone on here has put on 17's without having a sports suspension & if there's any problems ??

Please when you get an explanation from the dealer share it with us. I an curious. When ordering 17" wheels, you get sport suspension lowered by approx. 10mm in comparison to the standard suspension you get with 16" wheels. If 17" wheels fit the setup with lowered suspension how can they possibly not fit the standard setup that comes with 16" wheels?:eek: I am inclined to think the dealer wants you to pay the extra bucks for 17" wheels to them rather then to an aftermarket retailer. I might be wrong.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Well, if you compare Volkswagen's prices for wheels compared to the like of the dealer I quoted above, there's no contest. I got my 16" Borbet alloys (easily as good as Volkswagen alloys) plus Continental WinterContact TS850s for around the price of four Volkswagen alloys - 4 wheels, 4 premium Winter tyres fitted and balanced for under seven hundred quid.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
you'll have absolutely no issues whatsoever putting 17" wheels on instead of the standard 16's. Just make sure they are the correct fitment and you'll be ok. in fact what I would do is put winter tyres on the 16's and use those in the winter with your 17s for the summer.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
There you have it, McMaddy has the perfect solution, why didn't I think of that (because I didn't know perhaps) ;)

paddypool

Ready to race!
you'll have absolutely no issues whatsoever putting 17" wheels on instead of the standard 16's. Just make sure they are the correct fitment and you'll be ok. in fact what I would do is put winter tyres on the 16's and use those in the winter with your 17s for the summer.

i did this with my mk6....but i can't get the Madrid wheels i'd love without the 'forced' sports suspension:mad:
are there any good madrid replica wheels on the market?

DW58

Go Kart Champion
You ought to be able to find something on the link I posted a few posts back, or why not go for something different?

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
why not buy some genuine vw wheels from eBay from someone who has upgraded 17s to 18s. should be plenty about our as rob has said the site he used has a great selection of wheels. again just make sure you get the correct fitment and you'll be fine.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
If You buy from the site I recommended earlier, they offer guaranteed correct fitting for your vehicle.