GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel weights

Deanjet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I've never lost a weight during track days. Maybe I'm just too slow;). I always remove the old weights and deep clean my track wheels when taking them in for tire changes.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
We are balancing about 20-30 sets at work every day. Not for road use but hard driving. Never had issues with weights coming off.
From my view it's really difficult to see the problem.
The centrifugal force even tried to push them harder on the wheel.

Like I said above it depends on the quality of wheel weight and prep more than anything else. Also anything short of actual track use (no tail of the dragon doesn't count) isn't going to be getting the brakes to 1600F+ on a regular and sustained 20min basis... which radiates to the wheels.

I'll have to check wheel barrel temps later this week at VIR out of sheer curiosity now.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
We are balancing about 20-30 sets at work every day. Not for road use but hard driving. Never had issues with weights coming off.
It’s the heat. Adhesion breaks down. Add the shear of threshold braking. I’m only taking a guess here.

EEeegolf

Car(s)
E-Golf
Still don't buy it. We also do brake test. Wheelbolts get so hot you cannot touch.
But wheels do get off balance now and then. Not due to losing weights but the tires rotate on the wheels from the braking force.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've had my brakes glowing on track & wheel weights stayed on

Of course I wash the whole wheel including barrel every time I change between Street/Track & AutoX sets. Also clean before going to get tires.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
Actually what I've seen is that they fall off in the paddock where the rotor heats up the wheel while not moving and gravity pulls them off the top of the wheel.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
I estimate that the wheels may not even be in balance after some hard sessions of picking up marbles, wear, and possibly the tire shifting on the wheel.

Personally I attempt to balance the wheels when mounting new tires, and then don't care from there.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I estimate that the wheels may not even be in balance after some hard sessions of picking up marbles, wear, and possibly the tire shifting on the wheel.

Personally I attempt to balance the wheels when mounting new tires, and then don't care from there.

This is what I do. If the tire is covered in OPR and I'm flipping it on the rim, I don't both balancing. Otherwise only get balanced when new.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I watched a piece of opr from the rim fall onto a brake caliper from my buddies car that just came off a 30 min session. It caught fire, luckily it wasn't big and he noticed and was able to put it out right away. Scary though, I always check right when I park now and flick any opr on the inside wheel off

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Yup. All the gooey rubber crap you pick up on track. Can be seen on the far left and the third tire in this pic (both were on the rear of my car).

Attachments

• IMG_4959.jpeg
    IMG_4959.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 36

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ummmmm.... Ok... Lol