GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Spin - Continental DWS06?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Id say that if you're launching it, realistically you're going to spin either tire, and you'll probably spin even after taking off under hard acceleration from a stop.

Some say that Conti has a soft sidewall. In my experience, I think it's the best a/s. Have put 3 sets on family members/gf's car and theyre an awesome tire. Snow performance is really good too. AS3+ is a great tire as well, cant comment on snow grip tho

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I get lots of wheel spin in my 2019 GTI Autobahn on stock Potenzas. For those of you who have swapped Potenzas to these Contis, can you describe any change in wheel spin, particularly from a dead stop (not a launch, just stepping on it from a light). Worth the $700ish?

There was a day and night change when i did the swap in my 2016. I will be swapping my stock tires with DWS next week for my 2019 as well.

Is it worth? Depends on the person and its a yes for me.

VentoGT

Ready to race!
No experience on a GTI, but I have had DWS tires on 2 different cars and to me they are the best "compromise" all season tire out there, especially in snowy conditions. If you can't have a set of dedicated winters but see winter driving conditions and still want good performance on wet or dry warmer weather, the DWS is a great tire.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
No experience on a GTI, but I have had DWS tires on 2 different cars and to me they are the best "compromise" all season tire out there, especially in snowy conditions. If you can't have a set of dedicated winters but see winter driving conditions and still want good performance on wet or dry warmer weather, the DWS is a great tire.
The best compromise is the best way I'd describe these tires as well. Dry, wet and snow traction are good, handling is good, but they're certainly not as sticky as the ExtremeContact Sport.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Summer tires and Winter tires are also compromises outside of their operating parameters.

This

I agonized for ages over the winter/summer tires. At the end of the day, winters here (Mid Atlantic) are so variable that in looking at putting snow/winter tires on that they would be such a compromise on safety/performance on the inevitable warmer days (which would probably out number snow days at least 10 to 1 over a winter period).

Here I think if I was doing a tire switch it would only be a summer/all season switch if I start doing track/auto cross.

The performance of the high end all seasons is so good now. Am sure the contis will be great and worth the money.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks - as pretty much always, a great discussion. As I value comfort and low noise (I generally drive in "Comfort" and had my Soundakator coded off), and don't rally the car to 9/10s, I'm going with the Contis over the Michelin. thanks again

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Follow up. Had the Contis installed and the next couple of days it snowed a few inches. Then a few days of dry weather. I'm very pleased with the Contis in all conditions - tough to quantify but lets say 50% less wheel spin or better, handles great in the small snow we had, handles great in the dry. and quiet and comfortable at all speeds.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Follow up. Had the Contis installed and the next couple of days it snowed a few inches. Then a few days of dry weather. I'm very pleased with the Contis in all conditions - tough to quantify but lets say 50% less wheel spin or better, handles great in the small snow we had, handles great in the dry. and quiet and comfortable at all speeds.

Nice glad you are enjoying them!

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
As3+ tires GREATLY reduced wheelspin (while engine was stock) from the factory Conti "tx" tires. That includes straight line and anything else.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I spin my IS38 GTI with RE-71R tires with all the mounts, and all the everything. So yeah, outside of drag slicks, it's going to happen on a FWD with power.

newtonty

I've had DWS Contis on two other cars and they were great. I had a bad experience with them at Discount Tire with flat spots. Two separate sets had this issue and ended up with Defenders which are also great. quiet too. I'm on stock tires currently with only 6k miles so I am going to see how the P7s do before switching.

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
dws are a glorified touring tire. Soft sidewalls and average traction. Get a summer tire if you want traction.