GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Spacers

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm just going to say what's on my mind.... why not just pick wheels that have the proper offset instead of running spacers?

Because the title would need to be something else instead of Wheel Spacers [emoji4][emoji4].
Seriously though this would be the correct thing to do instead of spacers, makes more sense but for some people it will be cost or in my case I really love the look of the Austins, that could change in the future but for now spacers it is.
I don't have vibrations at all as mentioned above but I did clean the hubs with a wire brush before install, also peel the stickers off completely, any imperfections could affect it.
Back in December 2015 I bought the kit from ECS for 499.00 I think and it comes with VWR springs, all new hardware and the spacers with hardware, not a bad price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Exactly. I think most people looking to add spacers are working with the stock Austins.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Because the title would need to be something else instead of Wheel Spacers [emoji4][emoji4].
Seriously though this would be the correct thing to do instead of spacers, makes more sense but for some people it will be cost or in my case I really love the look of the Austins, that could change in the future but for now spacers it is.
I don't have vibrations at all as mentioned above but I did clean the hubs with a wire brush before install, also peel the stickers off completely, any imperfections could affect it.
Back in December 2015 I bought the kit from ECS for 499.00 I think and it comes with VWR springs, all new hardware and the spacers with hardware, not a bad price.

I did all that as well. Didn't have any impact. The spacers have play when you put them on the hub. That's the only thing I could find wrong with them.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I did all that as well. Didn't have any impact. The spacers have play when you put them on the hub. That's the only thing I could find wrong with them.

I see, that could be the reason, did you contact ECS?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I see, that could be the reason, did you contact ECS?

I bought them used. ECS wanted pics, but what was I supposed to take pics of? I sold them with the understanding if the new owner has the same issue I would give 100% money back. Never heard a peep. No idea if there were further issues or if it was just my car.

Norsk982

Ready to race!
I have ECS Flush Kit, and I cleaned the hubs with wire brush and some brakeleen to help clean the hub quickly. There's no stickers on the spacers, however, I added anti-seize on the spacers so that way it wont stuck when you need to take it or something.

I do have very very little vibrations at high speed, and at low speed, none.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
On my Golf, I had vibrations w/o spacers with my VMR V710 and Conti DW.
They are basically proper offset to get me flush. I could probably go 5mm and look a tad better.

I haven't put them on my 17 GTI Sport yet, I'm torn because I like the factory wheels. I want to get flush but don't want vibrations and I'm concerned I'll end up with them if I try.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
On my Golf, I had vibrations w/o spacers with my VMR V710 and Conti DW.
They are basically proper offset to get me flush. I could probably go 5mm and look a tad better.

I haven't put them on my 17 GTI Sport yet, I'm torn because I like the factory wheels. I want to get flush but don't want vibrations and I'm concerned I'll end up with them if I try.

5mm spacers up front will likely result in vibrations. It has to do with the size of that small a spacer and hub clearance. I considered doing the same but rly, 5mm difference is hardly noticeable. Plus isn't worth the headache.

Front wheels do all the heavy lifting in these cars, want them as smooth as possible.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I considered doing the same but rly, 5mm difference is hardly noticeable. Plus isn't worth the headache.

Front wheels do all the heavy lifting in these cars, want them as smooth as possible.

Yep, thats why i was a bit peeved that I get vibrations even without them on my VMR wheels.

I may very well leave my stock wheels on and sell off the VMRs, but again, I'd want to get some spacers for the stock wheels for a better look. I'm also not sure how the extra 1" of width lacking between the VMR and stock wheels will affect handling.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Yep, thats why i was a bit peeved that I get vibrations even without them on my VMR wheels.

I may very well leave my stock wheels on and sell off the VMRs, but again, I'd want to get some spacers for the stock wheels for a better look. I'm also not sure how the extra 1" of width lacking between the VMR and stock wheels will affect handling.

Hm wondering why you're wheels would vibrate. Haven't seen anyone else w VMRs mention fitment. I'm assuming you've checked they're balanced and aligned all properly?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Hm wondering why you're wheels would vibrate. Haven't seen anyone else w VMRs mention fitment. I'm assuming you've checked they're balanced and aligned all properly?

Yes. Balance is good. Pressures are even. Alignment is good.

Are the VMRs 57.1 CB? Lots of people have had issues with running rings due to our tapered hubs. Stupid design, IMO.

VMR does not require rings. They are stock hub fitment.

I had read a few scattered reviews that the Conti DW tires I have on those wheels were "difficult to impossible" to get a perfect balance on.

hawker800mech

Ready to race!
I had read a few scattered reviews that the Conti DW tires I have on those wheels were "difficult to impossible" to get a perfect balance on.

I've had two different types of Continentals on previous cars. One set was always temperamental with balance. In and out of balance, and took a long time to wake up (flat sporting over night). My new GTI has Continentals and shake at times, but not too bad. Always great in the rain; that's why I like them.

ROBK75

Ready to race!
I've got 12mm front / 20mm rear spacers on my GTD with standard wheels along with VWR springs, I think 15mm on the front would be too much as mine rubs now over any big bumps with 12's:

Attachments

• WP_20160321_14_18_49_Pro Small.jpg
    WP_20160321_14_18_49_Pro Small.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 4,494
  • WP_20160321_14_19_08_Pro Small.jpg
    WP_20160321_14_19_08_Pro Small.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 3,005

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Those are nice looking wheels. What model are they?

Are they the same specs as the Austins? 18x7.5 ET49

And what size tires? The stock tires on my GTI are 225/40R/18

I'm sure that you know all of this.

I wonder why ECS Tuning and others sell 15/20 spacer sets with the VWR sport springs as a combo, if there is rubbing?

I've read a lot of people say that there is no rubbing with this combo.

Perhaps the GTD engine is somewhat more heavy than the GTIs? Dumb question perhaps...just throwing that out there.

I have the 15/20 spacers in my garage. Waiting on the VWR springs.