GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel question - Stock w/ Spacer vs Wider Aftermarket

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
Hi all,

Looking for some guidance. I have a 2019 Rabbit model and really like the OEM Pretoria wheels. They fit the car so well.

But, I do want a flush stance with the wheels pushed out in line with the fenders. The car is a daily driver.

The way I see it, I have two options:

Option 1:
Keep the OEM wheels and add Space Flush Kit. This is the easiest option, but offers limits in tire size/width and has potentially added weight (I'm reading mixed info on the 18" Pretoria wheel weights). Replace the tires with something better at a later date.

Option 2:
Sell the OEM combo (should get a good return, as they are near new) and buy a good quality, economical, and lightweight 18x8.5" wheel set (i.e. Konig, Superspeed, etc) with new rubber. This allows me to run a wider tire and likely reduce overall weight.

Now, my main questions are:
  • What are the pros/cons of running these two setups?
  • Is there a weakness to the spacer setup?
  • Assuming the same tires, will I gain a huge difference in traction going from 225mm to 235mm (most likely choice) or 245mm width?
  • Anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for the input.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Option 1 but with 12mm/17mm spacers. Super flush kit looks way too pokey. You'll save a a lot of money too over option 2.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Once you go option two with lightweight wheels and more rubber you will never look back. I would say to hold onto the stockers if you have the room. Much better to have them on for a trade in, not that you are thinking of that right now

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Keep in mind it's more than just wheel width, you have to factor in offset as well.

Spacers for option #1, you're changing the offset, reducing the offset, but you also put more torque onto the hub/bearings, so you run the risk of the wheel bearings failing early.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

Do option 1 first for a bit...then do option 2. That's what a lot of people do.

Last edited:

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Spacers:

Cheap solution
Retains OEM look and quality
A little more work changing wheels seasonally, if that matters
Hubcentric fitment, so no rings or conical bolts

Wheels:

Changes the look, if that's what you want
Can change stance with wheel width, no spacers needed
Tons of options in 18x8.5, which will be flush up front and close in the back
Can upgrade to lighter, stronger wheels
Some are available as direct fitment (i.e. Neuspeed), so no rings, use stock bolts and covers, factory center caps

Lightweight wheels and performance tires really change this car. It's a no-brainer.

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the great info guys!

DiscusInferno, I hadn't considered the bearing wear issue. Thanks for advising. Definitely something of concern, as I plan to keep the car long term. So, with aftermarket wheels with their lower offset (i.e. +45), this isn't an issue?

shovelhd, that's pretty much the summary I cam to as well. The improvement in performance is the main driver to go with a new setup.

I really like the Pretorias though - does anyone know the official weight of the 18" version? I may have to take them off and weigh them myself, but deducting the stock Bridgestone weight.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I've got the original wheels on a flush kit and have tracked it a few times. I have had no issues but have heard many times what was mentioned above about accelerating wheel bearing wear. I am very happy with the look but also have about an inch of drop from my strut/spring upgrade so all in all it presents very well.

If I had to make a recommendation it would to go with the flush kit first and then save up for the aftermarket wheels/rubber. You will want to keep your pretoria's... make them your winter wheel setup with the flush kit and have the aftermarket set as your summer fun rubber set.

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks Visceral. I definitely love the look the Flush Kits give. I will also be likely doing a mild drop with Eibach Pro Kits.

Keeping the Pretorias for a winter setup definitely crossed my mind and is still a consideration. I drive a lot (30-35K kms a year), so I was hoping to downsize to a 17" wheel for winter.

So, I guess I am comparing three options:

- OEM Pretorias w/ Spacers + Advanti Storm S1 17" for winter
- Aftermarket 18" + Advanti Storm S1 17" for winter
- Aftermarket 18" + OEM Pretorias for winter

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Option 1 but with 12mm/17mm spacers. Super flush kit looks way too pokey. You'll save a a lot of money too over option 2.

Same wheels as OP, and I’m on 20mm fronts and 25mm backs....

Attachments

• 2F893C0B-7E7B-4CC8-ABC2-135A6593A471.jpeg
    2F893C0B-7E7B-4CC8-ABC2-135A6593A471.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 2,106
  • 42DF859E-DB3F-4244-9217-B105C9DBF38E.jpeg
    42DF859E-DB3F-4244-9217-B105C9DBF38E.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 2,809
  • 22FACDA5-6BCB-48CA-A8DC-238D94758C45.jpeg
    22FACDA5-6BCB-48CA-A8DC-238D94758C45.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 1,878
  • 157C7643-904A-47D2-B438-F9D78C1799DD.jpeg
    157C7643-904A-47D2-B438-F9D78C1799DD.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,451

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
I really like the Pretorias though - does anyone know the official weight of the 18" version? I may have to take them off and weigh them myself, but deducting the stock Bridgestone weight.

You can look up weights & offsets of OEM VW wheels:

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/507/volkswagen_golf_wheels_rims.html

edit: I guess I misremebered about the weight being shown there, but these guys have weighed wheels:

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/25695-definitive-official-weights-of-wheels/

Last edited:

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
Same wheels as OP, and I’m on 20mm fronts and 25mm backs....

Looks amazing! Definitely the look I’m after if I keep it OEM.

You can look up weights & offsets of OEM VW wheels:

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/507/volkswagen_golf_wheels_rims.html

edit: I guess I misremebered about the weight being shown there, but these guys have weighed wheels:

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/25695-definitive-official-weights-of-wheels/

Thanks for the links. Some good info there, but no OEM 18” Pretorias. I see the knockoffs listed, but at the same weight as the OEM 19” Pretorias.

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
Quoting myself, not once but twice :D

DiscusInferno, I hadn't considered the bearing wear issue. Thanks for advising. Definitely something of concern, as I plan to keep the car long term. So, with aftermarket wheels with their lower offset (i.e. +45), this isn't an issue?

Anyone have any input on this? Is the reason why spacers accelerate wheel bearing wear because the centerline weight of the wheel is pushed further out from the hub? Whereas wheels made with a specific offset are designed to account for that already?

To follow up on this, I did end up weighing my stock combo. Total came in at $45.5 lbs. Bridgestone lists the stock tire weight at 25lbs, so that means the 18” Pretorias are approx 20.5lbs. Not too heavy, but still a narrow wheel.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I like the look of those Rabbit wheels with the 25mm spacers. Mine has 12.5/20mm spacers and the rears still look too tucked for my taste.