GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel offset

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

I want to buy new rims for my golf 6. I want to buy the tec as2 with size 8x18 ET35 5x112 72.5, what concerns me is the et 35, won't that stick out? The website that sells it recommends this size and on the tec website they use this size too in the configurator. I have a normal golf with stock ride hight

This is a golf 6 with those rims, i don't think that there is an other offset for the 18" for a golf 6

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
ET35 is an Audi fitment, they'll stick out a bit on a Golf; our stock offset is 51mm. 43 or higher would be ideal to keep them within the fenders.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
ET35 is an Audi fitment, they'll stick out a bit on a Golf; our stock offset is 51mm. 43 or higher would be ideal to keep them within the fenders.

I am assuming you mean this for 7.5" wide wheels right? Obviously stepping up to larger wheels would require a different offset. His are 8", so a smaller offset might be a problem.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Lower offset move the barrels farther away from the strut, so 8" width with any offset lower than stock should clear just fine in that direction. It's when you get to 41mm or smaller that they start to poke.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Lower offset move the barrels farther away from the strut, so 8" width with any offset lower than stock should clear just fine in that direction. It's when you get to 41mm or smaller that they start to poke.

but wouldn't the increase from 7.5" stock to 8" aftermarket move the wheel closer both to the strut and to the fender? 1/2" larger wheel would move it closer by 1/4" on both sides. Which would then affect how much offset you can carry. So a blanket statement of 41 or smaller would be incorrect. Yes on an 8", 40 offset would be flush, so you would probably need to be 42+ (depending on the thickness of the fender, which I have yet to find numbers on) to keep from rubbing. So 7"-7.5" wheels would allow for a smaller offset, and 8.5" wheels would require a larger offset than 41.

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
but wouldn't the increase from 7.5" stock to 8" aftermarket move the wheel closer both to the strut and to the fender? 1/2" larger wheel would move it closer by 1/4" on both sides. Which would then affect how much offset you can carry. So a blanket statement of 41 or smaller would be incorrect. Yes on an 8", 40 offset would be flush, so you would probably need to be 42+ (depending on the thickness of the fender, which I have yet to find numbers on) to keep from rubbing. So 7"-7.5" wheels would allow for a smaller offset, and 8.5" wheels would require a larger offset than 41.

I'm also looking for 8.5 x 18 with et40 rims, would that fit, it's recommended for a golf 6 on the website but i don't trust it really because 8.5 is wider than most golf 6 rims

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
I'm also looking for 8.5 x 18 with et40 rims, would that fit, it's recommended for a golf 6 on the website but i don't trust it really because 8.5 is wider than most golf 6 rims

Those wheels would definitely poke out. There is a formula for determining if wheels will poke out, be flush with the fenders, or tuck in. It is:
[1/2(Wheel width(in inches)x25.4 )-Offset(in mm)]
To be flush is 61.6 mm, higher will poke, and lower will tuck. Having said that, it needs to be the width of the fender lower. I have yet to see how many mm thick the fenders are, so proceed knowing that it will have to be a bit less than 61.6 to tuck if that is your thing. Also, this does not take in to account height of the wheel and rubbing that way.

SirClimax

Ready to race!
You'll be fine with either 18x8.5 et40 or 18x8 et35. I'm on 18x8.5 et35 and as long as you do the fender screw mod you'll be totally fine

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
Those wheels would definitely poke out. There is a formula for determining if wheels will poke out, be flush with the fenders, or tuck in. It is:

[1/2(Wheel width(in inches)x25.4 )-Offset(in mm)]

To be flush is 61.6 mm, higher will poke, and lower will tuck. Having said that, it needs to be the width of the fender lower. I have yet to see how many mm thick the fenders are, so proceed knowing that it will have to be a bit less than 61.6 to tuck if that is your thing. Also, this does not take in to account height of the wheel and rubbing that way.

Thanks, you helped me a lot

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
You'll be fine with either 18x8.5 et40 or 18x8 et35. I'm on 18x8.5 et35 and as long as you do the fender screw mod you'll be totally fine

My golf isn't lowered so i'll definitely not have rubbing problems, i just don't want the wheels to stick past the fender too much but it should only stick out 5 mm which isn't much so i think i'm going to get 8 x 18 et35 rims. I have standard vw rims which are et 50 and the are definitely too tucked in

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I run ET38 in the summer and they stick out a little bit. If you're worried about that, skip the 35s.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
My golf isn't lowered so i'll definitely not have rubbing problems, i just don't want the wheels to stick past the fender too much but it should only stick out 5 mm which isn't much so i think i'm going to get 8 x 18 et35 rims. I have standard vw rims which are et 50 and the are definitely too tucked in

How far in are the stock wheels? I am trying to get a gauge on where some other wheels with similar specs will end up. Basically, what is the biggest spacer you could put behind the stock wheels and still be behind the fender?

Also, you say that it isn't lowered so you wont have rubbing problems. But do you ever have 4-5 people in the car? Maybe a family and take them on a trip with luggage? Roof rack that you add more weight to? Its easy to rub if your poking out and the car is loaded. Even the full tank brings it down a tad. You probably wont have an issue, but if your fully loaded and gassed up and hit a big bump, there is still the possibility of rubbing.

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
How far in are the stock wheels? I am trying to get a gauge on where some other wheels with similar specs will end up. Basically, what is the biggest spacer you could put behind the stock wheels and still be behind the fender?

Also, you say that it isn't lowered so you wont have rubbing problems. But do you ever have 4-5 people in the car? Maybe a family and take them on a trip with luggage? Roof rack that you add more weight to? Its easy to rub if your poking out and the car is loaded. Even the full tank brings it down a tad. You probably wont have an issue, but if your fully loaded and gassed up and hit a big bump, there is still the possibility of rubbing.

They are about 10 mm in in the front and about 15 mm in the back.

it's a 3 door so i don't take more than one person with me often and i also don't load stuff in it