GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Bearing Replacements

Benrawr

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 2.0 TDI GT
Hey,

I'm looking to change my wheel bearings as my Golf is approaching 200k miles and as far as I can tell they've never been changed!
I've found a few sites which all show three different sizes of bearings which are each apparently compatible with my car, but I don't want to order something and take my wheel apart to find out it's not the right one. :eek:

I've got a 2.0 Mk7 GT/Highline - Any insight would be greatly appreciated! ?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Unless you're going to have a shop press the old bearings out and new ones into the hubs, you'd just be buying an assembly/kit that includes new bolts. That's what I did for the fronts on my car, a but of an involved process but nothing too bad if you have the tools and take your time. The rear is a bit simpler, just a single large axle bolt holding the bearing/hub assembly but you will need some brake caliper bolts as well for that as I believe some are one time use stretch bolts.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I bought mine on Europaparts.com. Takes time, but is overall not a difficult procedure. Be careful moving the LCA around the ball joints: I sliced the boot on my driver side, had to replace the ball joint shortly thereafter.

Benrawr

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 2.0 TDI GT
I'm confident with installing them, but I have no idea why there are three different sizes which are all apparently compatible with my car :eek:
I can't find any clear indication of which one I should get, and since they only range a few millimetres from largest to smallest I'm not confident enough that taking the current ones off and measuring them would be accurate enough to know ?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm confident with installing them, but I have no idea why there are three different sizes which are all apparently compatible with my car :eek:
I can't find any clear indication of which one I should get, and since they only range a few millimetres from largest to smallest I'm not confident enough that taking the current ones off and measuring them would be accurate enough to know ?

Does your car have rusty cast iron hub carriers??...or do you have alloy hub carrier & DCC dampers??…...cast iron have 80mm bearings..alloy has 85mm bearings..

& do you have a torque wrench to do 200Nm??….as that's what the 12 point driveshaft bolt is...

Benrawr

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 2.0 TDI GT
Does your car have rusty cast iron hub carriers??...or do you have alloy hub carrier & DCC dampers??…...cast iron have 80mm bearings..alloy has 85mm bearings..

& do you have a torque wrench to do 200Nm??….as that's what the 12 point driveshaft bolt is...

Looks like rusty iron carriers to me! I've got the tools to pull it all apart, though it's the inner diameter measurements that are throwing me off :oops:

Here's the list of compatible bearings I was looking at. If anybody is able to point out which is correct I'd be tremendously grateful!

https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/vw/golf-vii-5g1-be1/56147/10679-wheel-bearing

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
masses of cheap brands I've never heard of....

FAG, SKf, febi, are the best...

& that website is just a nother version of several other websites which are the same company...

Benrawr

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 2.0 TDI GT
masses of cheap brands I've never heard of....

FAG, SKf, febi, are the best...

& that website is just a nother version of several other websites which are the same company...

Those brands also have various different inner diameters o_O I wish parts were just one size fits all

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Those brands also have various different inner diameters o_O I wish parts were just one size fits all

The dims are just 1/10th of a mm difference....nothing & within OEM spec...

FAG, SKF, & Febi..all list the following different items, rear axle, front axle iron hub carrier, front axle alloy hub carrier, & set of both front bearings... so just pick the old s for the iron hub carrier single item..

https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/vw/...l-bearing?brand[]=50&brand[]=101&brand[]=1307

Benrawr

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 2.0 TDI GT
The dims are just 1/10th of a mm difference....nothing & within OEM spec...

FAG, SKF, & Febi..all list the following different items, rear axle, front axle iron hub carrier, front axle alloy hub carrier, & set of both front bearings... so just pick the old s for the iron hub carrier single item..

https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/vw/...l-bearing?brand[]=50&brand[]=101&brand[]=1307

Marvellous! Bullet's been bitten, time to wait for the weather to let me fit it all.

Thanks for y'all's help ?