GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel bearing or DSG whine

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone new on here.
Hoping I can get a bit of reassurance really have had a golf mk7 2.0 tdi DSG for a year now currently on 96k miles.
I have recently started hearing a quite high pitched whine between 50mph and 80mph i noticed that the passenger side front wheel bearing had recently been replaced when i bought the car.
I have jacked up and checked the wheel bearings for play and noise but cant hear any rumble but cant spin wheel at 60mph.
I have swapped over the front and rear tyres but the noise is still definitely at the front but cant really tell which side i think it's over the the drivers side which sways me towards the wheel bearing.
Just really wanting to see if anyone has had a similar noise and what it was, dont really want to waste money one wheel bearings if it's not that as if it's the gearbox it will be getting traded in unfortunately as I dont want to throw thousands of pounds at the gearbox it may turn into a money pit it would be a shame as I like the car. It's not mega loud you have to turn down the music to hear it but it is very annoying
Many thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi everyone new on here.
Hoping I can get a bit of reassurance really have had a golf mk7 2.0 tdi DSG for a year now currently on 96k miles.
I have recently started hearing a quite high pitched whine between 50mph and 80mph i noticed that the passenger side front wheel bearing had recently been replaced when i bought the car.
I have jacked up and checked the wheel bearings for play and noise but cant hear any rumble but cant spin wheel at 60mph.
I have swapped over the front and rear tyres but the noise is still definitely at the front but cant really tell which side i think it's over the the drivers side which sways me towards the wheel bearing.
Just really wanting to see if anyone has had a similar noise and what it was, dont really want to waste money one wheel bearings if it's not that as if it's the gearbox it will be getting traded in unfortunately as I dont want to throw thousands of pounds at the gearbox it may turn into a money pit it would be a shame as I like the car. It's not mega loud you have to turn down the music to hear it but it is very annoying
Many thanks

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Find a road where you can steer back and forth at that speed and if the sound changes it's the wheel bearing. You could also shift into neutral at that speed to eliminate sound coming from the DSG.

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea I already swapped tyres as it has got the dreaded sawtooth I'll give that a try tomorrow. Not tried putting it in neutral yet either but I would assume if it's the diff in the box I would imagine it would still do it in neutral I'm not sure. Just hoping it's not gearbox as it sounds more that way dosent sound like a rumble like my old golfs wheel bearing.
Cheers

Last edited:

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Just had DSG replaced due to a likely failed differential bearing. Sounded like a wheel bearing noise. Put it in neutral and the noise stopped, popped back into D, started again.

My noise started as a whine, then turned into a hum and grind...no codes thrown.

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had DSG replaced due to a likely failed differential bearing. Sounded like a wheel bearing noise. Put it in neutral and the noise stopped, popped back into D, started again.

My noise started as a whine, then turned into a hum and grind...no codes thrown.
Oh dear that's not good did you get yours under warranty I know I wont as it's a 2014 and too old and any ideas of cost?
I'm going to start with front wheel bearings as it's getting worse every day and now starting to rumble like a wheel bearing.
It gets louder under braking when weight transfers to front but cant get it to do it by steering and it only does it between 50 and 80 so hoping it's not the dsg.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

Thanks for triggering my paranoia, maybe it's time for an LSD upgrade... Did the ambient temperature play a role in the sound intensity? Such as, did the noise decrease on cold days?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh dear that's not good did you get yours under warranty I know I wont as it's a 2014 and too old and any ideas of cost?
I'm going to start with front wheel bearings as it's getting worse every day and now starting to rumble like a wheel bearing.
It gets louder under braking when weight transfers to front but cant get it to do it by steering and it only does it between 50 and 80 so hoping it's not the dsg.

Just go out to some road with little traffic and at the speed you hear the sound swerve back and forth like the Nascar guys do when they're warming up their tires on a caution lap. If the noise changes or worsens it's the wheel bearings.

Branch846

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I'm happy to report back the noise got worse and became obvious to a wheel bearing on the drivers side front I've had it replaced and the car is back to what it was. Thanks everybody

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG

Was this on your R? If on a GTI, was it a Performance Pack GTI?