GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Bearing Change

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I disagree. SoCal roads are a dream compared to roads in the Rust belt. People that claim gas tax and registration price increases are needed to fix the roads never driven in states that have snow and see damage from salt and plowing.

Driving route 395 in SoCal... crumbling roads? What crumbling roads? It starts to deteriorate when you hit Mammoth lakes, and still those roads aren't that bad.

BTW... if you look at the part, it tells you how to replace them.

VW has been using this design since the MK5's.
395 is heaven compared to everything south of the Kern/LA county line. I took 395 to Lake Tahoe, no complaints. BUT 95% of my driving is in LA county, and the roads are atrocious and straight up dangerous. Same goes for SB and Orange Co., although LA is by far the worst. And hey, no snow or salt. You need a truck or a jeep there, not a GTI.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
BTW... if you look at the part, it tells you how to replace them.

VW has been using this design since the MK5's.

Yep, already purchased them from Europa Parts. I've noticed the service manual instructions are more extensive than what I've found through YouTube videos. I'll stick to the manual to be safe.

Engineer90

Ready to race!
Yep, already purchased them from Europa Parts. I've noticed the service manual instructions are more extensive than what I've found through YouTube videos. I'll stick to the manual to be safe.

Let me know how it goes, I'll buy the bearing from Europa Parts possibly today and pick up tomorrow.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
395 is heaven compared to everything south of the Kern/LA county line. I took 395 to Lake Tahoe, no complaints. BUT 95% of my driving is in LA county, and the roads are atrocious and straight up dangerous. Same goes for SB and OA, although LA is by far the worst. And hey, no snow or salt. You need a truck or a jeep there, not a GTI.

lol, yeah

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
395 is heaven compared to everything south of the Kern/LA county line. I took 395 to Lake Tahoe, no complaints. BUT 95% of my driving is in LA county, and the roads are atrocious and straight up dangerous. Same goes for SB and OA, although LA is by far the worst. And hey, no snow or salt. You need a truck or a jeep there, not a GTI.

My daily commute is in Orange and LA county, the vast of the majority of the roads are in excellent condition. No where near as bad as a Rust belt road.

Though my reference is PA & NJ roads.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I'd not be so pissy over shitty roads had the gas been cheaper and state taxes lower. With all the other crap i wish AT LEAST the roads would be fine.

True facts, can't fault you there. I feel the same.

Engineer90

Ready to race!
I got mine in the mail today. Installing this weekend. Did you get yours too?

Not yet as I am more confused now :confused:

Yesterday I took it to my mechanic, we lifted the car, looked underneath, spun the tires and nothing seems out of place. Did a tire rotation and the vibration is still there :( so that crosses off my new wheels from the list of suspects

I am more confused though, because yesterday me and my mechanic drove the car... he's a heavy guy. Since the car had a heavy load on the right side, the vibration wasn't there... so I am going back to my first theory that my front passenger strut is shot. He's not sure what it could be either. So I'm at 50/50, either the bearing or strut

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Yesterday I took it to my mechanic, we lifted the car, looked underneath, spun the tires and nothing seems out of place. Did a tire rotation and the vibration is still there :( so that crosses off my new wheels from the list of suspects

I am more confused though, because yesterday me and my mechanic drove the car... he's a heavy guy. Since the car had a heavy load on the right side, the vibration wasn't there... so I am going back to my first theory that my front passenger strut is shot. He's not sure what it could be either. So I'm at 50/50, either the bearing or strut

You got lucky -- your mechanic actually went for a test drive and looked at the car. Mine, after my verbal description of the problem and symptoms, reached straight for an order form to get a new wheel bearing in and slap it onto my car. When I asked him if he's going to drive it the way he said he would before and check out all the joints, etc., he said no, I know what the problem is from your description. Needless to say that was the last time I'll ever go to that mechanic. A complete waste of time.

cb1111

You need to find a suspension shop. Otherwise you'll just keep throwing money at the car without a resolution.

Engineer90

Ready to race!
You got lucky -- your mechanic actually went for a test drive and looked at the car. Mine, after my verbal description of the problem and symptoms, reached straight for an order form to get a new wheel bearing in and slap it onto my car. When I asked him if he's going to drive it the way he said he would before and check out all the joints, etc., he said no, I know what the problem is from your description. Needless to say that was the last time I'll ever go to that mechanic. A complete waste of time.

That guy sounds like a d**k hole :mad:

My mechanic is cool, he has a small shop with 3 lifts. Plus, speaking Spanish with him and showing him I know wtf I'm talking about cars helps.

I am starting to think I'll just get new Bilstein B8s, ball joints, and bearings. I hate that my GTI, a car that I love, is driving like it's a 150k mile 15 year old car :( depressing.