GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Bearing Cap Corrosion on 2021 GTI SE

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I went to install VW rear mud flaps on my very new '21 GTI SE this afternoon and had a difficult time getting the wheels off. They're Black Pretorias, standard on SE's this year and both were seized in place. After dripping a small amount of penetrating oil between the wheel and the hub (being very careful to not get any on the brake rotor or caliper), pounding the tire tread area with a rubber hammer and pulling the wheel side to side with my hands, each finally came loose.

I found corrosion around the circumference of the wheel bearing cap and some on the wheel too. I took a Scotchpad wetted with WD-40 and lightly worked around the wheel bearing cap to get the worst of it off. A shop towel wetted with WD-40 worked well on the wheel. Before putting the wheels back on, I worked on a thin coating of anti-seize on to the hub and wheel.

It's probably a result of dissimilar metals, but my wife's '17 Golf Wolfsburg with Dover wheels never had anything like this. I wanted to mention today's find so that owners of '21s are aware. They'd be well served by removing each of their wheels to be sure all is as it should be. I'm glad that I was home in my garage when I discovered this -- I'd have been in a terrible fix if I'd have had a flat tire somewhere. I'm going to pull my front wheels tomorrow and am expecting to find the same thing.

2021-04-13 GTI Rear Wheel Bearing Cap.jpg

2021-04-13 GTI Rear Wheel Corrosion.jpg

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Pretty normal, though I didn't baby the hub, I used a wire brush to clean it off.

Okay thanks. (y) I wasn't sure how aggressive I should be with cleaning. I'll use a wire brush on the front wheels when I remove them tomorrow.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Get some anti-seize and put a light coat on the hubs after cleaning to eliminate the sticking.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
The outside of the hub is supposto be waxed from factory & is SOP when changing wheels @ vw dealer to prevent exactly this. Quite odd that it appears yours weren't. Lazy factory worker?

1618377038134.png

Last edited:

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
That's very interesting @q74 and thanks a bunch for posting it. Without knowledge of this as I worked yesterday, I put a light coat of anti-seize only where it's prescribed for the same reason as written -- so as to not have it radiate outward to contaminate the rotors. Your posting also explains why I never found this with my wife's '17 -- Puebla was doing it right back then.

When I install my front mud flaps today, I'll use a wire brush as @xXDavidCXx did. I have a toothbrush-sized one with brass bristles that should work well.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Kind of surprised you found that on your new car, but as they say rust never sleeps. A wire brush works well & a brass one is even better. When I get my tires rotated & balanced they use a wire wheel on the hub.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Yup, found the same situation with my front hubs as seen below. After taking the photo, I used the brass brush and a film of anti-seize, and both front hubs looked somewhat better when completed. VW should take more care in assembly. You won't see this photo within the GTI album at vw.com.

I spoke to a friend that owns a garage in NC and he said they frequently see this sort of thing with many brands and it always results in prying, twisting, hammering and some language to free the wheel from the hub. I can imagine what this develops into in snowbelt states.

Oh, the OE mud flaps are on and they look good. With each one held in place with five fasteners, I guess I'm ready for most anything. :D

2021-04-14 Front Wheel Bearing - for upload.jpg

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
@PRRGG1 Thank you for the heads up. I put a little bit of anti-seize on my hubs after installing mudflaps today.

My car is only about six months old, I just bought it four weeks ago and my hubs were slightly rusted too.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

gdub09

Ready to race!
Normal operation. Screw in stud a few threads, take a hammer to the back of the wheel and its off. This is pretty normal on every car ever...