GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WhatsApp on CarPlay - Now Available

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Just installed latest iOS update and WhatsApp update. Not sure which added this functionality, but I now see WhatsApp on the CarPlay screen.

Thanks for the info. I checked it and the info doesn't show much about its interactivity with other devices. Can you be more specific as to what works and how? My connection with the car is spotty.
Thanks.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I have an iPhone 6s. iOS version 11.2.5. WhatsApp version 2.18.20.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
It’s very limited. You tap the WhatsApp icon, and it asks “who do u want to send it to”. It doesn’t list open chats, unlike iMSG.

If you send a message or click cancel, it just brings you back to the CarPlay home screen again.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
It’s also not marking listened to messages as read. So the unread badge number just keeps increasing.

Oh well. At least it’s a start!

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Same, same...

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Waze is very excellent. Get yourself an Android :)

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
SiriusXM was added to CarPlay recently too. Big advantage over receiving via satellite: you can crank up the bitrate. There are 3 settings, and the highest one is allegedly 320kbps. Even the medium setting sounds CD-like. Compare this to how it sounds via satellite, and it's a uuuuuuuge upgrade.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
SiriusXM was added to CarPlay recently too. Big advantage over receiving via satellite: you can crank up the bitrate. There are 3 settings, and the highest one is allegedly 320kbps. Even the medium setting sounds CD-like. Compare this to how it sounds via satellite, and it's a uuuuuuuge upgrade.

Thanks for sharing that. This is why I passed on SiriusXM once the free trial ended. Crappy sound quality via satellite

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Thanks for sharing that. This is why I passed on SiriusXM once the free trial ended. Crappy sound quality via satellite

Streaming at a high bitrate will obviously use a lot of data, so an unlimited data cell plan is best for going this route. Also you need to maintain a solid cell connection or you'll get buffering. But even at the mid setting of 3, it sounds VERY good. I believe you can still get a streaming upgrade to your SiriusXM plan as a 30-day trial just for asking. Give it a whirl.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Streaming at a high bitrate will obviously use a lot of data, so an unlimited data cell plan is best for going this route. Also you need to maintain a solid cell connection or you'll get buffering. But even at the mid setting of 3, it sounds VERY good. I believe you can still get a streaming upgrade to your SiriusXM plan as a 30-day trial just for asking. Give it a whirl.

Worth a shot. Thx again