GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's a logical amount of money to spend modding?

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
I always told my wife while my kids were small that if keeping food on the table and a roof over our heads was my task for going to work, then I wouldn't need to work so hard. My life's center is cars and car parts.. amongst other hobbies.

A lot of my motivation for doing well in school, and pushing my career to higher levels has been to be in the position where I have "leftovers" for car parts. Any woman that I date who complains about my obsession of cars and sports is immediately cut from the team.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
A lot of my motivation for doing well in school, and pushing my career to higher levels has been to be in the position where I have "leftovers" for car parts. Any woman that I date who complains about my obsession of cars and sports is immediately cut from the team.

Sounds like you are on the right trajectory. There are many kids in your generation that do not have such drive nor self motivation.

I've been with my wife for decades and she and I never stick our heads on how we spend our allowances.. we have full visibility and share the same savings and checking accounts, credit cards, etc.

The only reason why I mentioned what I did long time ago was because we were doing fine financially (no car payments, mortgage was paid off, no credit card balances, etc) and yet I was over working myself and she didn't want me to get ill or get too stressed out. I just wanted more toys.. the reason for being alive really to enjoy life. Otherwise why live.

Deanjet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Only as much money as you are willing to throw away. I save a little every paycheck and when I have enough I buy my next want. Currently saving for EQT coilovers. Oh, and if you are married never tell your wife how much money you are tossing out the window.

Buckeye Nation

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Any mod is a poor financial decision. The car is really good as designed. Really good. And it is warrantied just for that design. Therefore modding is not a rational financial decision. You could drop 5k in mods and it may lead to a car you dont really enjoy to daily drive. Or drop 5k and absolutely love the drive. It's a tough road once you start modding. I have modded every car I own with the exception of our 2019 Ford expedition, Which should get a 93 octane tune soon. But after modding a civic si, two wrx's, a coyote mustang gt, 2 LS3 Chevy SS sedans, an EcoBoost f150, C7 corvette and a 17 LT4 Camaro ZL1, it's expensive and like many other have said add little to your resale. Unless the buyer is performance oriented. And even then they may believe you ragged the devil out of it. I say all that to say....money is earned to be spent...at some point. If modding brings you joy, go for it. In my C7 it made the car simply amazing. In my first WRX...little was gained. It's a personal choice and feel free to make each decision based on your own personal choices.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
My only goal is to win every race and again prove that VW makes the best hatch in the world.

there is no limit.

JW_A3

Car(s)
2015 A3 2.0TFSI
If you have the extra money for it, treat it as a hobby. Spend a little but not too much. Very few cars are an investment, and you won't get your money back when you sell it.

I hate to say it, and deep down I want to disagree... but there are more important things than cars. If you are planning to spend more than 15k on car mods, i'd suggest throwing it at a house instead.

If you cant pay cash for the things you want, that means you cant afford them. Don't dig yourself a hole financially.

-J