GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's a logical amount of money to spend modding?

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Please post two copies of your recent pay stubs, and your tax returns, along with any debt that you currently have so that we can accurately answer this question. Dave Ramsey and I are standing by.
^^^this is logic

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Well, I ended up finding a used APR downpipe for $450.

So logical or not, stage 2 here I come. Im going to get a Unitronic intercooler as well since they are on sale right now and I track my car
Let me know how your intercooler fits. I had to trim the plastic shroud to get mine in...

Also, if you track and you're going stage 2, go the low torque route, get an oil cooler and at least some hood louvres or a larger radiator

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I'm going to do the low tq tune.

I have had issues with high oil temps at the track. I will read about larger radiators and oil coolers. I think the oil cooler is what it really needs though as my coolant temps haven't ever gotten above normal. Just oil

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm going to do the low tq tune.

I have had issues with high oil temps at the track. I will read about larger radiators and oil coolers. I think the oil cooler is what it really needs though as my coolant temps haven't ever gotten above normal. Just oil

If you're going by the built in coolant gauge you don't know if your coolant temps are normal because the built in gauge won't respond until you almost overheat. Otherwise the built in gauge will read 200.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
I will add this to my tab there’s more...

97377F6F-3F5F-46CE-9D8F-C147E45451BF.jpeg
48664E77-F8E9-44AA-BD70-8CC6E542393A.jpeg
7613762F-5D56-4ECE-AE4F-B65E98C9EB54.jpeg
D9AE13C1-C04B-4FE7-B943-A428EA8C1265.jpeg
8EB7E0EE-9A73-4331-B136-6E46158765B2.jpeg
B933ACB3-8DBB-4B36-81E0-39A2EA7B936C.jpeg
9B9CB3FF-F38D-4D97-A2A8-3663928B1EFF.jpeg
51B46F2D-C9AA-46A7-B9BA-8F7DCA1A3372.jpeg

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
This is completely relevant to how much spare cash you have available, and how much of an impact the car has on your life.

For me, my GTI is a major contributor to my life quality. I'm constantly thinking about my next autocross event, or track day. The joy I get from doing autocross/track days is PRICELESS. Therefore, spending a significant portion of my spare cash on the car is a no brainer.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Agree with others. Maybe if you compare what your car can/cluld do at the end of the day compared to, say, a 40k car, a 65k car, maybe even higher in some cases, then the logical amount is whatever makes your car perfrm as good as/better than that, but for less.

24k car+10k mods, but performs better than 50k car = logical

24k car plus 5000 in stance and visual mods that you enjoy turning heads with? Up to you, i guess logical. At least the car is a sranceable car in the scene

24k car plus 30k in mods? Youve surpassed the cars own value in mods. But if thafs what you wanna do fuckin do it!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
24k car plus 30k in mods? Youve surpassed the cars own value in mods. But if thafs what you wanna do fuckin do it!

This reminds me of my shopvac. The vac itself was like $35 back in the day.. the accessories and attachments were $50 total ending up with a $85 vac. Nearly 20yrs later, I still have it.. used it over the weekend, actually.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Agree with others. Maybe if you compare what your car can/cluld do at the end of the day compared to, say, a 40k car, a 65k car, maybe even higher in some cases, then the logical amount is whatever makes your car perfrm as good as/better than that, but for less.

24k car+10k mods, but performs better than 50k car = logical

24k car plus 5000 in stance and visual mods that you enjoy turning heads with? Up to you, i guess logical. At least the car is a sranceable car in the scene

Lol my buddy has an 02 Audi S6 with 850HP. 30K+ in mods. It has a race shifter, apparently the shifter was 3K alone.

Scariest car ride I ever went for. An 850HP pull to 160 mph... I was like no thanks man I’m never getting in a car with you again

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Ha wow man those old 6 cars can sure get rowdy. Short of the rs3 audi dont do it like they used to, thats for sure.