GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's a logical amount of money to spend modding?

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I ask this question as I debate doing some more expensive mods.

I am currently rocking a 2019 GLI 35th edition. (I'm a former mk7 gti owner too)

I got my GLI for 24k. I've spent about $1200 to 1500 on it and am currently debating dropping up to 3 grand into it. I wonder what the logical limit is in spending on a $24k car?

One way I look at it is; I got the car for 5k under window sticker price, so I could spend 5k and still just be at msrp. Or, maybe spending more than 10 to 15% is too much? On the other hand, I bought my GLI for 24, when the Golf R sitting next to it at the dealer was 41, so i could dump 10k into it and still be many thousands less than an R.

How do you rationalize your spending?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Whatever makes sense to you and what your planning on doing with the car. No matter what amount of money you put in your car it won't add any value to it so keep that in mind. I went down the rabbit hole with my mk6 and now it's a track car, probably dumped close to $50k in the car after I bought it new for $20k. It's worth less than 10 if I tried to sell it, I won't sell it because it's my track toy but its all relative. I also had no intention of ever going that far with it, just sort of happened. If I knew at the time I'd end up with so much money invested I would have bought a Porsche instead.

How I rationalize it is it makes me happy, isn't a financial burden. I had the money to build the car without sacrificing my other responsibilities.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
For me it's more like a hobby, so spend what you feel it's going to make you happy and that's it. If you want to put it into numbers it won't make sense because when you resell the car or even part out all your mods you will get 50% of what you spent.
Some people spend thousand of dollars just in cosmetic mods, others in the engine, others to prepare the car for the track...
As I said before if your hobby is to paint Warcraft figures go for it, just don't try to rationalize your spending, do whatever makes sense with your finances and be happy my friend.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
whatever you spend, it is worth 0$ to the next buyer in my eyes and theirs. I would do what you want but a 5000$ budget can get you a lot, probably everything you need besides an upgraded turbo

Edit: if you plan to upgrade the turbo it can be done for less than 5000, they run like 1000-2000 but, I figure most people do tune, dp, intercooler, wheels, tires, suspension, clutch (if needed) which can all be had for 5000k or less depending on what you choose.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
One hundred million dollars!

* Raises pinky to the corner of his mouth*

terryscott621

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I listen to the Everyday Driver podcast and they always talk about "modding out of class". What they mean by this is that if you buy a car for $20K and put $10K into mods for that car, could you have gotten into the next car tier up for that total of $30K (you can use whatever numbers you want for this example)? If you answer yes to that question than you've probably spent too much on mods.

Now I don't necessarily agree 100% with this thinking, but I think it's a solid argument for not spending too much on mods.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I listen to the Everyday Driver podcast and they always talk about "modding out of class". What they mean by this is that if you buy a car for $20K and put $10K into mods for that car, could you have gotten into the next car tier up for that total of $30K (you can use whatever numbers you want for this example)? If you answer yes to that question than you've probably spent too much on mods.

Now I don't necessarily agree 100% with this thinking, but I think it's a solid argument for not spending too much on mods.
well, my base gti was 23,500 with 34 miles on it. I spent roughly 7k, could I have gotten a golf R for 30,500 new, NO. I guess im still winning haha

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
+1^^^^^if Mrs Mud is around....somewhat more if she ain't. I find the GTI doesn't need much for me. OBDeleven, helix sub, a roof rack cause it was free, red mirror caps (just a straight trade). A few other little things but less than $750.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I wonder what the logical limit is in spending on a $24k car?

How do you rationalize your spending?

There isnt a logical limit. Once you decide on something, your mind will find reasons to rationalize those spending.

Its just a matter of personal taste and size of your wallet.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Folks have given the cashflow/affordability perspective, which is probably the most important. If you don't have the cash on hand, use credit wisely. It's OK to use flexible zero interest credit like Paypal Credit, but have a payoff timeline that keeps the interest at $0 and fits your cash flow.

They way I would look at it is, how much do you really like the GLI? Would you have bought an S3 instead if you could have afforded it? Is your family/work/life situation stable so that the GLI will be all you need for the next <x> years? If so, then have fun modding, even though the payoff may be $0.

Laterz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
I'm struggling with the same thing, which rabbit hole do I choose??? Car, truck, boat, guns, kayak, camper, house, yard, shedl, tools, vacations??? I feel you.