GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's a logical amount of money to spend modding?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I look at it this way:

I got an Alltrack, which is the closest you can get to a station wagon R in America (with some mods), Only its 25K, not 45K.

I can dump 10K into it, and have a better performing car than a stock Golf R for 10K less, and it’s a wagon in Great Falls Green💚

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
How do you rationalize your spending?

Don't
money pit.jpg

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
logical until you part out and the low balls start rolling in
I guess I am the lucky one on this one. I got prety close to asking price on my part out. With most things selling fairly quickly.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I spent between $15k to $20k on my mk6. It was fun to wrench on it and the shows/ friends made with it was well worth the money. That being said I stoped on my current car at $5k. Not a dollar more is being spent on it :)

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I think it doesn’t matter where we start, we’re gonna F with our cars no matter what. I purposely bought a TT instead of the TTS cause there’s not a single mod I would have done differently. $10k ahead of the game right from the start. Point being, “for that mod $ you could have had a TTS”. Yes, a TTS that would also cost $10k in mods. Here’s an interesting real life example, I’ll keep you posted on what I get for her. The mods are easily calculated:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/vehicles-sale-202/2017-certified-tt-ibis-white-sale-3000110/

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I put in Helix sub, aspherical mirrors...so ~$400. I am debating MIB2 infotainment system upgrade, but I am somewhat lazy to start sourcing parts. I like to spend cash on other things in life, like traveling.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I appreciate everyone's perspective.

I guess I lean towards not spending enough to hit the next, better model. For the GLI, there's not such an obvious higher level car, aside from a Golf R or an S3 I supppse.

I paid 24,000 for my GLI.
So far I've got wheels, tires, stage 1 flash, better brake fluid, and some light cosmetics.

I'm trying to build a good track car. Im thinking of doing Stage 2, intercooler, rear sway bar and better brake pads.

I think the will set me back about $2500. All said and done, ill have put about $5000 into a $24,000 car. That seems like a fairly high amount to spend. But, for about 30 grand, ill have a very capable track car that I daily, throw kids in the back, and get 30+ mpg....

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I think the will set me back about $2500. All said and done, ill have put about $5000 into a $24,000 car. That seems like a fairly high amount to spend. But, for about 30 grand, ill have a very capable track car that I daily, throw kids in the back, and get 30+ mpg....

That's not too bad. My previous GTIs probably had about $10k each into them. I'm already nearly half way there with the R and all I've done is a tune, wheels, and clutch. It adds up pretty quick when everything costs $500+.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Glad to know i'm not the only bloke that has spent WAYYY too much on his car!

I'd rather buy a cheaper(ish) car and spend more modding it than to buy a more expensive car but have no modding money.

I put like 20-25k into a cobalt ss - awesome car but so not worth it in the end when the car was just 'beat' and i had to part it out and only make liek 1/3 to 1/2 back. But it was worth it for the experience and always have something to do.
My mk6 had probably 15k in it or more at some point. Had a lot of fun, wound up selling alot off of it cause i was dipping into credit too often and was starting to just hate myself for that lol.
Now with the 7 i've been staying a little more slow and steady. Have extra money and all the bills are paid? Go for something.

It's an expensive hobby and there is truly no limit. Once you start buying things, you start parceling off 'sections' of the car and think 'well, whats the point of having a tune and not good tires? why go through the hassle of upgrading the brakes and leaving the suspension alone? Well its a fast car, why not make it look better? Why have expensive 'this and that' but cheap 'these and those?'

I think of a car like a bank account that slowly loses interest, but instead of just keeping all your money in there you get to enjoy your money every time you drive the car

Last edited:

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Glad to know i'm not the only bloke that has spent WAYYY too much on his car!

I'd rather buy a cheaper(ish) car and spend more modding it than to buy a more expensive car but have no modding money.

It's an expensive hobby and there is truly no limit. Once you start buying things, you start parceling off 'sections' of the car and think 'well, whats the point of having a tune and not good tires? why go through the hassle of upgrading the brakes and leaving the suspension alone? Well its a fast car, why not make it look better? Why have expensive 'this and that' but cheap 'these and those?'

Right about then the ol’ delusional could this be my forever car?!?!? Might this be it? Wow, I think it might be. In that case I must press on cause forever car anyway.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
It's a hobby for me. I enjoy researching mods and planning the mods as much as I do the actual modding. DIY'ing and knowing it was done right is part of the enjoyment.

Most of my friends spend far more than me on golf, guy's weekends in vegas, poker etc. I'd agree with other though, mods don't add value, and shouldn't be amortized on a credit card at a ridiculous rate for years on end. Beyond that, the sky is the limit.