GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What would you make of this? 2018 GSW electrical gremlin.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Nope, no sarcasm. Just assume they fixed it and drive it as always. Don't look for every little thing that might indicate a problem - those things you would have never even noticed prior to this issue.
You just have no idea the depths of my OCD and attn to detail anxiety do you? LOL, jk. I'm looking to just enjoy the damn thing. It's a 'cheap' 'econo car' that I bought during the height of dieselgate and I currently own outright. I plan to responsibly abuse the car, enjoy it, throw the dog in the back, let the upcoming baby spit up on it, etc.

Will I be watching like a hawk for re-occurances and other issues? Of course. If we can get a clean 5-6 mo i'll feel pretty good about the fix.

cb1111

You're talking to ME about OCD??????

Driving to my detailer to do the PPF (30 miles on the odometer), I'm thinking "this thing is almost pinging, what have I bought? Why did I buy sight unseen" etc. On the way back it dawned on me "I bought the car in Albuquerque, ABQ has 85 octane as normal gas. The dealer filled the car with the cheapest swill which is probably really 83/84 octane" and topping the tank off with 93 seems to have resolved that.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
You're talking to ME about OCD??????

Driving to my detailer to do the PPF (30 miles on the odometer), I'm thinking "this thing is almost pinging, what have I bought? Why did I buy sight unseen" etc. On the way back it dawned on me "I bought the car in Albuquerque, ABQ has 85 octane as normal gas. The dealer filled the car with the cheapest swill which is probably really 83/84 octane" and topping the tank off with 93 seems to have resolved that.

Is ABQ elevated? It is BEYOND me how companies can sell 85 octane fuel legally in America when every modern car’s cap literally says MINIMUM OCTANE 87

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
it'll prob work for 9 months then the weather will be getting cold and the battery will again act up.

sarcastic (I hope)

Mud

cb1111

Is ABQ elevated? It is BEYOND me how companies can sell 85 octane fuel legally in America when every modern car’s cap literally says MINIMUM OCTANE 87
Yes, ABQ is what 5500 ft? 85 is fine for cars that use "minimum 87" due to the higher altitude, but I'm near sea level here in NoVA.

When I was in Santa Fe last (about 7500ft, there was this huge scandal where one of the local stations was found to be selling 83 octane in their 85 pump.

For those not familiar, in layman's terms, octane is knock resistance and as altitude goes up (air becomes less dense), a lower octane works just fine - 85 is like 87. And cars run just fine - people, not so much.

The guy that replaced me at NORTHCOM HQ in Colorado Springs said to me during our handoff "there is no air in the air" and I knew exactly what he meant because I felt the same way the first week or so. There is a slight incline (think long sloped driveway) going up the front door from the parking lot and for the first week or so you feel like you've just climbed 10 flights of stairs.

Driving back to DC, the only open station had 85 (I was driving a 335xi - so minimum 91) and it ran just fine on the 20,000 miles though the flat part of Kansas.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I used to love driving from sea level (OC) to Mammoth during my time in California. A bag of chips would puff right up. Also, with my APR boost gauge to see the noticeable air density differences right in front of you was fun. On the way down my yeti water bottle would get some awesome suction after opening it back up. SCIENCE.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I used to love driving from sea level (OC) to Mammoth during my time in California. A bag of chips would puff right up. Also, with my APR boost gauge to see the noticeable air density differences right in front of you was fun. On the way down my yeti water bottle would get some awesome suction after opening it back up. SCIENCE.
Hahahahahahaha

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I got the car back. Seems perfectly fine. Zero drama. I spent some time talking to the master-tech again and he feels good about the lengthy diagnosis process with VTA. I plan to drive it daily for the next few weeks but for now I certainly hope this thread dies. Appreciate the support.