GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What would you make of this? 2018 GSW electrical gremlin.

AquaTone61

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE DSG
I read through the whole thread before replying.... Sucks to hear that it came back. I had an intermittent issue with my power steering that was finally traced to the alternator, full explanation is in my post history.

I'm not a tech but I've worked with Audi/MB/Porsche cars in the industry for about 13 years now. This may not be news to you or others but the instrument cluster is just a stop on the information super highway called "Can Bus". Basically how it works is there is a network that shares information throughout the vehicle. Different CU's are plugged in to the loop and take what info they need from the data stream and pass on the rest. If there is a break or interruption in the loop it can cause havoc downstream. Looking at all those faults I knew it wasn't just an ABS sensor. There are different levels of Can Bus as well, in terms of scope and refresh speed. The cluster is part of the main Can Bus which explains all of the communication errors with all the other cu's. The hard part will be figuring out what is still causing the issue. All I can say is, I'm glad your still under warranty.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
@AquaTone61 one of the best response in this thread so far, thank you. I am in full alignment with you and I know that it will likely be a bear to chase down, but the dealership has been fantastic and equally committed to solving this. To say this car has been a problem child in the 34k miles of ownership so far is a deep understatement, but I am committed to seeing it through and I still love the car. I have been considering what an 'exit' would be, and the only car I want is this. We'll see it through. (y)

Edit: Just dropped off tonight at the dealer they hooked it up with an Arteon. Not a bad loaner for the time being.

cb1111

@AquaTone61 one of the best response in this thread so far, thank you. I am in full alignment with you and I know that it will likely be a bear to chase down, but the dealership has been fantastic and equally committed to solving this. To say this car has been a problem child in the 34k miles of ownership so far is a deep understatement, but I am committed to seeing it through and I still love the car. I have been considering what an 'exit' would be, and the only car I want is this. We'll see it through. (y)

Edit: Just dropped off tonight at the dealer they hooked it up with an Arteon. Not a bad loaner for the time being.
How are you going to mod it?

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
LoL. Cushy car. Great steering feel, seats, cluster, etc. feels like a cross between GTI/R with some GLI sedan action.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I still have the Arteon R line. No news since dropping it off Friday 1/29. I don't think they have any real clue where the canbus fault is coming from.

Let's open up this conversation... what happens if they can't diagnose this? The car has Bilstein B14 coilovers, APR stage 1 tune, and a bunch of other very normal bolt on mods. The dealer has been working with me since day 1, and they have been great. everything has been covered so far. Listen, I WANT THIS CAR. I WANT THIS CAR FIXED. IF THEY TELL ME I NEED TO PAY FOR IT BECAUSE 'X reason and it's because x part' thats ok. The problem is they can't seem to find it. They can't see to diagnose this.

Theoretically, what's next? Do you see VW stepping up here since this is clearly not my fault, per say, but they COULD have an easy out. Thoughts?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Find replacement.

Lemon law the first.

Swap parts over or sell em. (Tune hopefully APR gives you some leeway)

Profit?

Last edited:

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
sigh.

Been back on the 'replacement' thought process lately, to that point...

List is short for new: Last of the EJ STI, 6MT Tacoma TRD.

I need to row gears, with the exception of the RS3... i can make the manual sacrifice for this car LOL. I don't want to add 15k to my budget thought.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
They make manual Tacoma’s?!?! Whatttt!!!!!!

And you could still get another manual VW wagon, no? Keep the budget low and just swap parts over to a car that won’t have these stupid problems.

but a manual Tacoma sound freaking sweet. I’m likely getting a Tacoma once my Alltrack is paid off

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Yeah they make 6mt tacoma's, even in TRD Pro trim. My dad has been a 'taco' guy for years but just got a 4runner. My time in his 4runner recently felt REALLY good. It'd be interesting to be in a 6mt tacoma for sure.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah they make 6mt tacoma's, even in TRD Pro trim. My dad has been a 'taco' guy for years but just got a 4runner. My time in his 4runner recently felt REALLY good. It'd be interesting to be in a 6mt tacoma for sure.
Ugh I mean really, I’d rather have a 4Runner than a Taco but 4Runners are just out of this world expensive for the ultimate lack of “luxury” /refinement. They’re still relatively bare bones Toyota and all the money Goes into QC/overbuilding the base components. Which pays for itself in spades when you can drive the car for 20 years without a single mechanical breakdown, but it’s still a tough value proposition without any of the “goodies” the sweeten the deal

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Its the drivetrain that impressed me, which is the same in the Tacoma. Everything felt nice. I find it funny that i'm literally all over the place on this. The plan all along was to buy the GSW 4motion wagon in 6mt (done), mod it lightly to my liking (done), pay it off (done)... and then drive it around for 3-4 years payment free while sourcing the forever weekend toy. This will be a step back, but getting something daily drivable and reliable is a must while still being practical and fun.

The WRX sti is silly, i know... but have you driven one lately? AWD 6mt w/hydraulic steering, etc feels NOTHING like any new car out today. For 36k base it's hard to touch if you are the kind of guy that likes 90's JDM. It's the last of an era.

IDK... more to follow when I hear back from my dealer.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Its the drivetrain that impressed me, which is the same in the Tacoma. Everything felt nice. I find it funny that i'm literally all over the place on this. The plan all along was to buy the GSW 4motion wagon in 6mt (done), mod it lightly to my liking (done), pay it off (done)... and then drive it around for 3-4 years payment free while sourcing the forever weekend toy. This will be a step back, but getting something daily drivable and reliable is a must while still being practical and fun.

The WRX sti is silly, i know... but have you driven one lately? AWD 6mt w/hydraulic steering, etc feels NOTHING like any new car out today. For 36k base it's hard to touch if you are the kind of guy that likes 90's JDM. It's the last of an era.

IDK... more to follow when I hear back from my dealer.
I looked at those very closely before getting the GTI, but at the end of the day, they guzzle gas, to an extreme for what they put out. They're not fast cars and they blow up all the time - they ain't that cheap either.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I looked at those very closely before getting the GTI, but at the end of the day, they guzzle gas, to an extreme for what they put out. They're not fast cars and they blow up all the time - they ain't that cheap either.

All true. No disagreeing there.

cb1111

I didn't need a daily driver. In late 19 (pre-COVID), I was offered a job that required a 50 mile commute (one way) every day, regardless of weather or road conditions, so it was down to the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (most amenities, OK gas mileage but iffy reliability), the 4R (crappy gas mileage, no modern amenities [the 20 added CarPlay/AndroidAuto] and basic safety features, can't kill it) and the GX (comfy, capable, no CarPlay/AA, abysmal gas mileage and sublimely reliable).

The plan was to drive my Acura TSX wagon most of the time and the GC/4R/GX in iffy weather/conditions.

That job went away with COVID (or at least on extended hold), but I still wanted an AWD to replace the Lexus RX300 that was sitting in the garage (I hated that car - you couldn't kill it but it didn't fit me [my knee hit the center console no matter how I adjusted the seat] and it was just an outdated car that sucked gas for no reason)

That's when I started looking at the Alltrack - AWD, all the modern toys, comfortable (especially in SEL trim with those better seats), reliable if not modded (waterpump, pano roof, a couple of other little things - but nothing that'll leave you stranded), drives like a car and has decent gas mileage.

If the GC had the reliability, then it would have gotten the (pre-CoVID) nod. The GX was nice, but in luxe trim was nearing Land cruiser territory (my vehicle of choice if cost were no object), so the 4R would have been my choice - but my trim choice (TRD Pro) was a hair over $50k - the Pro is the only one that drives decently both on and off road. The Limited pitches and heaves like a rocking horse when you brake and the lower trims are even worse.

I guess there are the Volvo wagons but reliability is in the toilet since the Chinese bought them. Nice driving and comfy though. The Mercedes E class wagons have turned ugly with the cladding (makes the Alltrack look elegant) and - once you've added options, are pushing $70k - another one of those "I'd love it if I won the lottery)

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
The problem for me is AT's and GSW's are done. Fingers crossed we get a super clean diagnosis this time around. I spent some time talking about this with my wife last night, who is the most supportive person for a car guy in my situation. She told me to get whatever the fuck I wanted... LOL. I told her I want to keep my car. That's plan A for now.