GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What would you make of this? 2018 GSW electrical gremlin.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
To be fair I had to look it up. I'm 34. WTTY= 'wasnt talking to you'

I have a baby girl on the way, due in April. I better start preparing for these texts from her later in life. LOL

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
To be fair I had to look it up. I'm 34. WTTY= 'wasnt talking to you'

I have a baby girl on the way, due in April. I better start preparing for these texts from her later in life. LOL

eh - kids use less and less acronyms these days. We type so fast there’s no value to be gained from removing characters, and the general social trend has moved toward flaming people for poor communication.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Adding my update to the last page. I am seriously interested in feedback here if any is to be had. Hoping to speak with the master tech in a couple of hours.

Update:

Got a call from the dealer. They are telling me they diagnosed and confirmed that it is an issue with the cluster, and that they will be ordering a new cluster and replacing it. I find this wild, but I will be getting more information on the specifics of the issue from the master tech later today. I'll advise if I can articulate more on this soon.

I am hearing the cluster is on backorder from my service rep, more to follow on eta for that too.

What do you all make of this diagnosis? Funky, eh?

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
okay, just talked to the lead master tech. He is 100% confident. He was able to replicate the fault after a test drive and immediately traced the time stamp to the canbus wire headed into the cluster. the VW tech line confirmed, and essentially this compromised canbus connection/intermittent short is 100% traced back to the cluster as the databus is housed there. Thus the cascading of connection issues and fault codes. Part is 3-5 day ETA, and they just need me to come back in with my spare key to reprogram the immobilizer (also housed in cluster.)

I am no electrical engineer, but this makes directional sense. I hate that this is another electrical gremlin, but my tech was 100% sure this was the correct fix, and he also confirmed vw tech line had seen it before. I am feeling confident we've exercised this demon. The next few months i'm sure this will be in the back of my head, but we'll see if I finally exercised the last demon out of my '666' car (last 3 of my vin, lol.)

I'll update the thread when I pick my car up, likely next week.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
... annnnnnd back at square one. Cluster came in, replaced, keys re-programmed. Dealer tech took it on a test drive, and codes came back. SIQQQQ.

More to follow.

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
This. And mine has lived up to the last 3 on it's vin, '666' this thing has been a BEAST when normal, and I just love the car for how practical it is. It can do it all. This car is an absolute GREMLIN with the issues it's had since new. Not everyone can get a problem free car, I get that. To your point, i'm OCD and this demon needs to be exercised ASAP. I'll track it down, but please keep the commentary coming.
With the gyms all shut down, the demon is going to have to exercise all by himself. And do you really want a buff demon? They are a PITA in their normal state.

Unless you're talking about a succubus, because if you have to give up your soul, she better be damn fine. No muffintop succubus, even with your eyes closed. It's just not worth it.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
With the gyms all shut down, the demon is going to have to exercise all by himself. And do you really want a buff demon? They are a PITA in their normal state.

Unless you're talking about a succubus, because if you have to give up your soul, she better be damn fine. No muffintop succubus, even with your eyes closed. It's just not worth it.
exorcised, lol. whoops.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I haven't read this whole thread (yet) but I'm with @HawkeAssault, this sounds like a gateway issue. The cluster is only connected to Comfort Cam (from memory) but the gateway brings every bus together.

As for what the dealer saw in timestamps, the gateway might not report itself as failed but instead reports the first thing it was unable to communicate with (the instrument cluster in your case). This leads one to think the cluster is the problem. At the same time, if the short at/in the cluster was between a can bus line and power it very well could have damaged the gateway.

Dealer would need to swap and program. Because it is the center of the component protection system it's not something you would do yourself.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
I don't know much about tinkering or messing with the actual gateway but by way of the issues you've outlined it's at least worth a look.
The Gateway sits behind your steering wheel. I would let the dealer handle it as it also has parts of the component protection and FeCs from my understanding. So if you mess with it and have no means to recode or fix it you'd be shit outa luck.

Attachments

• 1610858954771.png
    1610858954771.png
    733.4 KB · Views: 75