GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Transmission will you be getting with your MK7 GTI? Manual or DSG?

BleezyD

Ready to race!
So, I'm curious what transmission all of you are going for with your new GTI?

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
DSG, not because we only get DSG in the middle east. But I really loved it in my previous mkv GTI and it feels even better in the mk7 I test drove. I also love the shifting sound it makes and downshifting with the paddles. I used to always drive my mkv GTI in manual mode, even when driving normally. I also prefer it because my wife can't drive manual and the GTI is hers in case she REALLY needs it :D

Don't get me wrong, I love the 6mt and I drove my friends 6mt mkv GTI really enjoyed it. But I just would rather havs a DSG for DD

gtiw7

Ready to race!
having owned both, I would DEFINITELY go for manual if I had the choice! but we no longer get manual in my region (Middle East) so I went with DSG.

but to be objective..

go for manual for
1. Much more fun and driving experience.
2. You also don't have to worry about any gearbox problems for the first 15 years or so (if you plan to keep it lol) the worst scenario is you gonna have to change the clutch.
3. It's also more modification friendly if you were bitten by the tuning bug :D 500hp? no problem just change the clutch!

on the other hand go for DSG for
1. Smoother ride and unlike the manual anyone can drive it fast.
2. No matter who's driving the manual (even if it was schumi :p) a DSG will always be slightly faster in a straight line. (but to be honest that doesn't count unless you're so into racing, you certainly won't notice the difference if you just want to enjoy your car alone)
3. The DSG fart is very nice (especially with an exhaust!! it's so crazy! and will get you a lot of attention if you're looking for it :p)

at the end of the day don't worry! you just can't go wronge with either ;)

dickt

Ready to race!
I'm on my third VW car with a DSG 'box. First one had problems, but no problems (touch wood) with last one or this one. (Mar 2013).

paddypool

Ready to race!
I'll definitely go for the DSG

the DSG oil & filter change is expensive over here, thats a major downside..

I've 67,000KM on mine, I skipped the DSG oil & filter change at 60,000km> anyone know if I'll run into trouble ?
(skipping it because of price which I'd rather spend on an extra in the MK7 I intend to purchase in Jan 2014...I'll put around 10,000km more on it before then- is it safe OR NOT ? :confused:)

BleezyD

Ready to race!
From doing a lot of research on the DSG, I believe the answer is yes. Not changing the DSG oil will only lead to problems. How long until you start noticing problems is anyone's guess but Ive heard the 1st change is the most crucial as there is a lot of debris and such in the oil from break-in. These are just comments ive read however, I cannot confirm any of this.

paddypool

Ready to race!
From doing a lot of research on the DSG, I believe the answer is yes. Not changing the DSG oil will only lead to problems. How long until you start noticing problems is anyone's guess but Ive heard the 1st change is the most crucial as there is a lot of debris and such in the oil from break-in. These are just comments ive read however, I cannot confirm any of this.

Thanks for your info....I'll have to decide soon so !:rolleyes:

To the OP question, I'm taking a manual. The golf ball shifter top is just way to cool to pass up and the cost of servicing the DSG is awful. God forbid the mechatronics unit goes out of warranty, I hate to even think about it...

As for not changing the fluid, I think the debris part of that doesn't make much sense. If there was debris from break in (first couple thousand) the damage would have been done already by the time the first change interval rolls around. You will have rougher shifts for sure by neglecting the service and with any lubricating fluids in a vehicle it could cause the lubricated parts to fail or seize.

Adding an extra 17,000 is asking exceeding the service life by more than 25%. If you do all your servicing at a dealer they will know the fluid has never been changed and will likely take that into consideration when valuing your trade in. Its up to you if you want to roll the dice, but either way it will likely come back and bite you.

paddypool

Ready to race!
To the OP question, I'm taking a manual. The golf ball shifter top is just way to cool to pass up and the cost of servicing the DSG is awful. God forbid the mechatronics unit goes out of warranty, I hate to even think about it...
As for not changing the fluid, I think the debris part of that doesn't make much sense. If there was debris from break in (first couple thousand) the damage would have been done already by the time the first change interval rolls around. You will have rougher shifts for sure by neglecting the service and with any lubricating fluids in a vehicle it could cause the lubricated parts to fail or seize.

Adding an extra 17,000 is asking exceeding the service life by more than 25%. If you do all your servicing at a dealer they will know the fluid has never been changed and will likely take that into consideration when valuing your trade in. Its up to you if you want to roll the dice, but either way it will likely come back and bite you.

fair enough point....seems i'd be taking a big risk letting it go so far over the 60,000km till I trade...I may part with almost my weeks wages for the service so !:(:rolleyes:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
My MK6 is a DSG, and I love it.

I would definately get a MK7 in DSG as well.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Getting another DSG GTI as soon as they are out in the states. It will be joined by a DSG R if VW sends it here with it this time....