GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to do About My 2017 SE GTI Sunroof? - Very Minor Leak

JVWranicar

Passed Driver's Ed
After 5 years of ownership, my GTI has caught the dreaded leaking sunroof disease.

A month ago, I noticed slight dampness at the passenger sun visor spot area after my car sat out in a strong rain for about 90 minutes. The driver's side was just fine.

I took it to the dealer and they checked it out and put a ton of water via tests and could not replicate the dampness. After that, I washed the car via a touch less car wash drive through and no sign of moisture.

But then, yesterday, I drove in the rain for 35 minutes and again noticed slight dampness on that passenger side visor right around where the visor light is. This morning, I checked the spot and the dampness was already gone. It dried up overnight. Obviously, not much water is getting through.

My question for those of you who have been through this drill before - should I 1) take it back to the dealer to have them further diagnose and potentially repair or 2) should I leave well enough alone knowing that whatever water is coming in is so little that it dries up after just a few hours. I realize getting it fixed likely makes the most sense but have those who have had a dealer correct this found success with dealer's fixes? Or can having the dealer mess with this potentially make this water penetration issue worse? I've read this can be a tricky fix and that they can't always get things back to 100% dry interior conditions. I don't want to turn a nuisance into a larger issue if I can avoid it.

Know that this car is garaged both at home and at work (so like 90% of the time) and that I live in Kansas City which gets its fair share of moisture but it is no Seattle.

Any advice from those of you who have been through this drill would be appreciated.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Question for you. How often did you use the sunroof?

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
I would get it repaired but just know it will leak again eventually. I have heard stories from some that had the dealership bought their car back under the 'lemon law'

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Take it to another dealer? Check the sunroof drain and see whether it's clogged.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
OP - did you get this resolved? I have this same issue on my 2016 (and never use my sunroof). I've checked the drains and they appear clear. Still leaking on the passenger side visor area. Only an issue when it rains. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue otherwise.

Thanks!

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Knock on wood, my 2017 has never leaked and I use it all the time. I must of caught the assembly line tech on a good day.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
leaking sunroof is a TSB. they should fix it without question or charge

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10128041-9999.pdf

Could print it and take it to the dealer with you. But it's a service bulletin and not a recall so the dealer is not obligated to do it for a car that's out of warranty, this is mentioned on Page 18.

That being said, the TSB is the full set of instructions for the repair, assuming your problem is what the TSB addresses. It includes the repair kit part number, 5GM 898 041, which I'm seeing for less than $2 o_O and required sealant D 172 090 A2 which I see for as low as $15 from some vendors, on the Google. Per the TSB no special tools are required.

And for what it's worth, the issue isn't caused by poor assembly, but rather an engineering oversight. Two adjoined materials with different expansion rates, one of them has to give, and that's the plastic.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
leaking sunroof is a TSB. they should fix it without question or charge
That's not entirely true. If your dealer, or the person who happens to be at the desk that day, sucks they could charge you for this. Says right in the TSB that it's only information on for cars that are not under warranty.

But there also this... So it's up to interpretation in some ways, unfortunately...
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/mk7-golf-sunroof-leak.524167/post-5756275

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
That's not entirely true. If your dealer, or the person who happens to be at the desk that day, sucks they could charge you for this. Says right in the TSB that it's only information on for cars that are not under warranty.

But there also this... So it's up to interpretation in some ways, unfortunately...
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/mk7-golf-sunroof-leak.524167/post-5756275
lame. exactly why i hate stealerships. "sorry you didnt bring this up in time so i cant do anything for you"

the dealer that sold me my tiguan tried to say i needed to replace my spark plugs because i was past the 60k mile interval and they wanted 300 dollars to do it. i asked why they didnt do it at the shop since I purchased the car with 67k miles.....

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yea... I understand with some things, dealer/manufacturer can't be liable forever since everything is manufactured with an expected service life.

But this one is different. The problem is an engineering one. Temperature changes (that would cause the expansion/retraction of materials) should not be considered use/wear and tear. I would think most dealerships will cover it, just wanted to point out that they are not obligated to do so. Given that, you don't want to go in there telling them they "have to" fix it due to the TSB because that is not correct. Being loud/angry and wrong won't get you anywhere :LOL:.

Having the kit in stock might also factor into whether a dealer is willing to cover it. If they have the kit they may say sure, leave the car here and come get it this afternoon. If they don't have the kit they aren't likely to recommend leaving the car there while waiting for it. If I was the customer and they told me to leave the car for a few days while waiting for a "covered" repair I would ask for a rental/loaner. The dealer isn't trying to cover that cost for a repair they are not technically obligated to perform free of charge. Of course, they could just order the kit and schedule a time to have it fixed 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited: