GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to buy? GTI or GLI? That is the question...

2021 GTI S or GLI S?

• GTI is on another level, and I'd pay more for it

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • GLI is a better deal, and can be made just as good

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Yeap, I negotiated a deal for 25K even with zero APR on a GTI S DSG. Went to pick it up but I saw a leftover GLI with shipping tape still all around it. Asked to drive it, they said sure. 22.7K later with zero APR, I said shut up and take my money. Both were '19 because I wanted the extra warranty but they also had few 2020's on the lot for a little bit more.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I'll sell you my stage 2 GLI 35th anniversary DSG. I've got a lot of money in it

But in all seriousness, I bought my GLI over a GTI because I have kids and wanted the bigger back seat. If I didn't have kids, I'd buy a rabbit edition GTI

I've owned both a mk7 GTI Sport and a GLI 35th. Both are great. But I've put way more money into my GLI and it would blow the doors off my old GTI.

That color is shit hot.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
What does that mean 😂

1617843265779.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The other thing about the GLI is you can find better deals on them.

Most VW dealers sell GLIs at a bigger discount than GTIs.

I got my 2019 35th edition GLI for $24,000. Damn good deal
I paid 2.1k more for a Rabbit Edition GTI. Completely worth 2k to me.

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
I'll sell you my stage 2 GLI 35th anniversary DSG. I've got a lot of money in it

But in all seriousness, I bought my GLI over a GTI because I have kids and wanted the bigger back seat. If I didn't have kids, I'd buy a rabbit edition GTI

I've owned both a mk7 GTI Sport and a GLI 35th. Both are great. But I've put way more money into my GLI and it would blow the doors off my old GTI.
If you don't mind my asking, why are you selling?

In your experience, did you notice much of a difference in handling between your GLI and your GTI?

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
If you don't mind my asking, why are you selling?

In your experience, did you notice much of a difference in handling between your GLI and your GTI?

Ive fallen in love with the refreshed Arteon. I think I'm going to go the luxury over performance direction this time. I have a terrible habit of buying a new car every 2 years. It'll be my 6th new VW! I've clearly got a problem.

When I sold my 2017 GTI for the 2019 GLI I wrote up a review on the differences on this forum. The thing I mentioned that still rings true to me 2 years later; They are more similar than different. When you have the steering wheel in your hands, they feel almost exactly the same. I have done a fair amount of road course racing in both. You can feel the longer wheel base of the GLI but its not a substantial difference. Maybe on an autocross it might be more noticeable but the track I race on is a big, fast track and it just doesn't matter. I did add a stiffer rear sway bar to the GLI and that really made it feel good. I'm sure a RSB on the GTI is a killer mod too, but it made the GLI drive better for sure. I highly recommend it. But the reality of the difference is this: tires make a bigger difference in how the car drives than the difference between the GTI and the GLI. Once I had sticky rubber and a stiffer rear sway bar on the GLI is handled really well. The other consideration I had was a strong desire to tune it so I got a DSG this time, while my old GTI was a 6 speed.

I got the GLI as the backseat space is important to me too. Kids in car seats take up a lot of room. The GLI backseat has something like 4 or 5 more inches of legroom and when you are dealing with car seats, every inch counts.
The interior is definitely cheaper feeling than the GTI. I know that's been covered here thoroughly but its a real difference. But again, the GLI is cheaper to buy, so I accepted the cheapness.

With a stage 2 tune, DSG, big intercooler, sticky tires, good brakes and RSB, the GLI can eat a race track alive. I have been super happy with how it does at the track. Here's my proof:

- Pikes Peak Intl Raceway
- High Plains Raceway

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Ive fallen in love with the refreshed Arteon. I think I'm going to go the luxury over performance direction this time. I have a terrible habit of buying a new car every 2 years. It'll be my 6th new VW! I've clearly got a problem.

When I sold my 2017 GTI for the 2019 GLI I wrote up a review on the differences on this forum. The thing I mentioned that still rings true to me 2 years later; They are more similar than different. When you have the steering wheel in your hands, they feel almost exactly the same. I have done a fair amount of road course racing in both. You can feel the longer wheel base of the GLI but its not a substantial difference. Maybe on an autocross it might be more noticeable but the track I race on is a big, fast track and it just doesn't matter. I did add a stiffer rear sway bar to the GLI and that really made it feel good. I'm sure a RSB on the GTI is a killer mod too, but it made the GLI drive better for sure. I highly recommend it. But the reality of the difference is this: tires make a bigger difference in how the car drives than the difference between the GTI and the GLI. Once I had sticky rubber and a stiffer rear sway bar on the GLI is handled really well. The other consideration I had was a strong desire to tune it so I got a DSG this time, while my old GTI was a 6 speed.

I got the GLI as the backseat space is important to me too. Kids in car seats take up a lot of room. The GLI backseat has something like 4 or 5 more inches of legroom and when you are dealing with car seats, every inch counts.
The interior is definitely cheaper feeling than the GTI. I know that's been covered here thoroughly but its a real difference. But again, the GLI is cheaper to buy, so I accepted the cheapness.

With a stage 2 tune, DSG, big intercooler, sticky tires, good brakes and RSB, the GLI can eat a race track alive. I have been super happy with how it does at the track. Here's my proof:

- Pikes Peak Intl Raceway
- High Plains Raceway
I’m hoping for a 2:10 run come next month at high plains myself!