GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to buy? GTI or GLI? That is the question...

2021 GTI S or GLI S?

• GTI is on another level, and I'd pay more for it

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • GLI is a better deal, and can be made just as good

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I understand. The point I was making was you said nobody buys an Autobahn since it's a few dollars away from an R and then you bought the Autobahn.

On a side note if yours is a 2019 when you are stopped with your foot firmly on the brake pedal does the RPM 's go up if you switch from Drive to Sport? The reason I ask someone said that when they do that their Rpms go up to 1000 in Sport mode when stopped versus being in Drive at 700 RPM.
I think he's saying that the average buyer that walks into a dealer and pays close to msrp for cars looks at the Autobahn and the R being so close in price, that they either buy an R or get a lower trim in GTI, but avoid the Autobahn, which actually makes it easier for more knowledgeable buyers to pick up Autobahns at a steep discount.

In reality, it doesn't cost VW much more to build an Autobahn as it does to build an S.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think he's saying that the average buyer that walks into a dealer and pays close to msrp for cars looks at the Autobahn and the R being so close in price, that they either buy an R or get a lower trim in GTI, but avoid the Autobahn, which actually makes it easier for more knowledgeable buyers to pick up Autobahns at a steep discount.

In reality, it doesn't cost VW much more to build an Autobahn as it does to build an S.
Ok I get it.
Did you see the question I asked him? Is your car a 2019 with DSG?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I understand. The point I was making was you said nobody buys an Autobahn since it's a few dollars away from an R and then you bought the Autobahn.

On a side note if yours is a 2019 when you are stopped with your foot firmly on the brake pedal does the RPM 's go up if you switch from Drive to Sport? The reason I ask someone said that when they do that their Rpms go up to 1000 in Sport mode when stopped versus being in Drive at 700 RPM.
Sport mode increases revs a little. I read it was so that the turbo that spools fast as shit already can spool faster. Dunno if that’s true though

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sport mode increases revs a little. I read it was so that the turbo that spools fast as shit already can spool faster. Dunno if that’s true though
Thanks but the idle doesn't go up over 300 RPM does it?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Thanks but the idle doesn't go up over 300 RPM does it?
Idle seems to be about 700-800rpm. When u go to sport it looks like it’s 1100-1200ish rpm.

raising the revs seems like a waste of gas if it is indeed meant to spool the turbo faster. Maybe it’s an aesthetic thing so u can hear it idle louder? I dunno

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Idle seems to be about 700-800rpm. When u go to sport it looks like it’s 1100-1200ish rpm.

raising the revs seems like a waste of gas if it is indeed meant to spool the turbo faster. Maybe it’s an aesthetic thing so u can hear it idle louder? I dunno
Wow they did make a change starting with the 2019's. In my 18 the idle speed stays the same.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Wow they did make a change starting with the 2019's. In my 18 the idle speed stays the same.
So if u put the dsg in s it doesn't rev higher?

Maybe it's just a thing for the 7 speed dsg's? But not the six speed?

I think it could be to give one an artificial sense of acceleration off the line during your daily drive? Maybe it allows the car to hop into first gear quicker?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So if u put the dsg in s it doesn't rev higher?

Maybe it's just a thing for the 7 speed dsg's? But not the six speed?

I think it could be to give one an artificial sense of acceleration off the line during your daily drive? Maybe it allows the car to hop into first gear quicker?
No mine doesn't. You're probably right.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I'll sell you my stage 2 GLI 35th anniversary DSG. I've got a lot of money in it

But in all seriousness, I bought my GLI over a GTI because I have kids and wanted the bigger back seat. If I didn't have kids, I'd buy a rabbit edition GTI

I've owned both a mk7 GTI Sport and a GLI 35th. Both are great. But I've put way more money into my GLI and it would blow the doors off my old GTI.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210407-042520_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210407-042520_Instagram.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 85

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
I didn't want a sunroof either, but LED lights were a must and I was pretty set on the hatch. Also in 2018 the GLI didn't have the performance options they do now, like LSD and big brakes. So for me, the hatch, the lights and the performance items really settled it. I bought a GTI SE. If I'd bought the car in 2017, I could have got the Sport and had exactly what I wanted.

In your case, I'd either take the GLI or move up a trim level on the GTI and live with the sunroof and the price jump. So the GLI is sounding pretty good. Then again, I don't care about the back seat; mine has been used once in 41K mi.

IDK, I guess you gotta set the priority for each of your requirements.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The other thing about the GLI is you can find better deals on them.

Most VW dealers sell GLIs at a bigger discount than GTIs.

I got my 2019 35th edition GLI for $24,000. Damn good deal
That’s solid for an autobahn gli

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It's not an autobahn. The 35th anniversary edition has DCC but it's got the S interior. It's halfway from a base S to an Autobahn.

$29,xxx msrp, got it for $24,000
Ooooh. So it’s like a rabbit in a way

still, 5k under is a good deal