GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to buy? GTI or GLI? That is the question...

2021 GTI S or GLI S?

• GTI is on another level, and I'd pay more for it

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • GLI is a better deal, and can be made just as good

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I own both a 2018 S and a 2019 Rabbit. The Rabbit has the the keyless and LED's. I can honestly say that on a street car, the only thing that bothered me on the S was not having the LED's and that's an easy aftermarket fix. Keyss is almost an annoyance at times and pushing a button to unlock doors and putting key in the ignition isn't really a big deal to me.

Get the car that feels special to you. If you don't, you'll be looking to get out of the car in a couple of years. I love both our 18 S and 19 Rabbit.

I'm a hatchback guy, always have been. I'd never buy the GLI over the GTI. I'd buy the GLI if the GTI didn't exist. Both fantastic cars, but come on, it's a GTI. It's an icon. Plaid for life. lol

Last edited:

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
If you will have a truck or suv while owning one, get the GLI. If not, GTI. That's my logic at least, the GLI should get better fuel economy as well from being more aerodynamic and be generally more comfortable if the actual wheelbase is longer

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
This is funny because I would never have to compare the two no matter how similar they are. It's like, you either like a sedan or you prefer a hatch.

My sister's boyfriend is a total sedan guy and isn't into the "hatch" look so he would never choose a GTI over a GLI just on that merit. Even if the GTI was superior in almost 95% of everything in comparison.

I guess there are some of you that can take either one and don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a nice looking sedan or performance sedan. Owned one previously. Though when it comes to VW, my only thoughts when it comes to a performance/sporty looking ride, it has to be their hatch line up. If I didn't buy a hatch with VW, I probably wouldn't be driving a VW. Though that is just me.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I own both a 2018 S and a 2019 Rabbit. The Rabbit has the the keyless and LED's. I can honestly say that on a street car, the only thing that bothered me on the S was not having the LED's and that's an easy aftermarket fix. Keyss is almost an annoyance at times and pushing a button to unlock doors and putting key in the ignition isn't really a big deal to me.

Get the car that feels special to you. If you don't, you'll be looking to get out of the car in a couple of years. I love both our 18 S and 19 Rabbit.

I'm a hatchback guy, always have been. I'd never buy the GLI over the GTI. I'd buy the GLI if the GTI didn't exist. Both fantastic cars, but come on, it's a GTI. It's an icon. Plaid for life. lol
Never understood anyone who criticized kessy. My only complaint is how large the key fob is but the system itself works perfectly IMO. Couldn’t agree more on the lights though. Xenon/LED should be a safety standard. We mandated backup cameras because people couldn’t be bothered to look before running over kids but how many night time accidents could be avoided if people could actually see at night.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Never understood anyone who criticized kessy. My only complaint is how large the key fob is but the system itself works perfectly IMO. Couldn’t agree more on the lights though. Xenon/LED should be a safety standard. We mandated backup cameras because people couldn’t be bothered to look before running over kids but how many night time accidents could be avoided if people could actually see at night.
Agreed. I’d also make an argument for the auto lights too. The ones that cut on when you go over 40 or 45 mph. The faster u go the more one benefits from seeing further away.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I find most keyless systems to be a little slow to recognize I'm trying to open the door and it requiring me to pull the handle twice to open the door, not a big deal, but a little bit of an annoyance. I don't particularly find pushing a button to unlock the car or turning a key to be an annoyance at all. Again, all personal preference.

The lights are the biggest thing to me, but not enough to by a GLI over a GTI. I'd just get the best available aftermarket GTI lights.

I'd honestly try to find a 1 or 2 year old low mileage used GTI at this point, so you can get a GTI Rabbit or SE, rather than buy a 2021 S, unless the OP is planning on keeping it for a significant period of time.

And like I said, OP should buy the one that feels special to him, if not, he'll always regret what he buys. If the GLI doesn't feel special, you have your answer, $2000 either way shouldn't really matter much, unless money is super tight.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

I agree. I'll never buy a car again without some kind of kessy\keyless ignition. Not having to take anything out of my pockets when getting into my car is a huge quality of life thing for me.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My problem with kessy is my memory is too shit. lol
I close the door and touch the handle as a reflex and don't even think about it, my door locks, I get 100 feet away from my car, and it's like...did I lock it? Then I have to grab my keys from my pocket and hit the lock button a couple times.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I agree. I'll never buy a car again without some kind of kessy\keyless ignition. Not having to take anything out of my pockets when getting into my car is a huge quality of life thing for me.
I honestly don’t care if it’s push button or me having to turn a key. But the kessy thing, I don’t think I could live without that. It’s very convenient

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My problem with kessy is my memory is too shit. lol
I close the door and touch the handle as a reflex and don't even think about it, my door locks, I get 100 feet away from my car, and it's like...did I lock it? Then I have to grab my keys from my pocket and hit the lock button a couple times.
Clearly u have trust issues 🤣

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It could just be a generational thing. Keyless is pretty new, I got my first GTI in 1984, so........I've been using keys for a long time, so it seems second nature. I can see how some would not want to whip out a key. This is my first car with keyless.

I also find that keyless is a battery drain and I have to keep my lipo on a charger if not using the car for more than a day. Lipo problems...

Last edited: