GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to buy? GTI or GLI? That is the question...

2021 GTI S or GLI S?

• GTI is on another level, and I'd pay more for it

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • GLI is a better deal, and can be made just as good

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Electronic parking brake shouldn't impact rear caliper size though. Golf R has electronic parking brake too and it has 310mm discs and the equivalent sized calipers.

I am not trying to tell the OP to get the GLI over the GTI but everything mechanical outside of the rear brakes, tire sidewall and longer exhaust is exactly the same. This isn't up to a debate. The suspension, engine, transmission and tuning are identical. You are literally buying a GTI with at trunk and hard plastic interior bits here and there.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I am not trying to tell the OP to get the GLI over the GTI but everything mechanical outside of the rear brakes, tire sidewall and longer exhaust is exactly the same. This isn't up to a debate. The suspension, engine, transmission and tuning are identical. You are literally buying a GTI with at trunk and hard plastic interior bits here and there.

The GLI has a longer wheel base, which will impact how it drives more than any of those factors.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yes, but I’ll argue that the tires will have more impact the the wheelbase.
Longer wheel base vehicles can’t take sharp turns as agile as a vehicle with a shorter wheel base. But we aren’t considering suspension geometry and a ton of other factors.

I own a GTI and gli. They’re not too different but the GTI does require less focus to turn over and over on a local canyon road. It’s easier to drive in twisties. But only slightly so

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
Having had every year of the MK7 7.5 GTIs and now a GLI, IMO if you are considering only the GLI S then it’s an easy decision-get the GTI.
Aright, that's super telling. Can I safely assume that your reasoning is that the GLI is only really worth it to get in the higher trim level for the add ons and for a lower price, as compared to the GTI? Or do you have other reasons? I'm really curious to hear why you say that :)

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
Longer wheel base vehicles can’t take sharp turns as agile as a vehicle with a shorter wheel base. But we aren’t considering suspension geometry and a ton of other factors.

I own a GTI and gli. They’re not too different but the GTI does require less focus to turn over and over on a local canyon road. It’s easier to drive in twisties. But only slightly so
I was going to say, the Civic Type R has a wheelbase that's 3" longer than the GTI, 1" longer than the GLI, and no one complains about its ability to turn in.

I agree though, that's ignoring a lot of other factors (geometry, weight, tires, etc.) that will have a greater impact than the difference 2-3" makes... (Unless you're asking a lady ;))

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I was going to say, the Civic Type R has a wheelbase that's 3" longer than the GTI, 1" longer than the GLI, and no one complains about its ability to turn in.

I agree though, that's ignoring a lot of other factors (geometry, weight, tires, etc.) that will have a greater impact than the difference 2-3" makes... (Unless you're asking a lady ;))
My brother in law has a type r. To be fair the shocks in the front don’t even move when u turn the wheels. That suspension is on a whole other level and Honda did well considering everything in the suspension. The type r can’t be compared LOL.

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
My brother in law has a type r. To be fair the shocks in the front don’t even move when u turn the wheels. That suspension is on a whole other level and Honda did well considering everything in the suspension. The type r can’t be compared LOL.
True true. And that's the point I was trying to make, by using a silly comparison. I agree with ya: there's a whole lot of other factors that have to be considered that are more critical to driving feel than a few inches of wheelbase ;)(y)

Sidenote: my best friend has a 2018 Type R. That thing is pretty magical.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
True true. And that's the point I was trying to make, by using a silly comparison. I agree with ya: there's a whole lot of other factors that have to be considered that are more critical to driving feel than a few inches of wheelbase ;)(y)

Sidenote: my best friend has a 2018 Type R. That thing is pretty magical.
And ugly. 😂

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
And ugly. 😂
It handles the way it looks. I’m cool with how loud the exterior is. Can’t stand a car that looks like pep boys puked all over it and really can’t back up it’s weird and overdone exterior.

but that’s super subjective though. Some folks prefer this while others prefer that. And that’s ok.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It handles the way it looks. I’m cool with how loud the exterior is. Can’t stand a car that looks like pep boys puked all over it and really can’t back up it’s weird and overdone exterior.

but that’s super subjective though. Some folks prefer this while others prefer that. And that’s ok.
It's the back end of all those Civics that's so ugly.