GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to buy? GTI or GLI? That is the question...

2021 GTI S or GLI S?

• GTI is on another level, and I'd pay more for it

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • GLI is a better deal, and can be made just as good

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
Wow!! Thank you all for all of the responses so far. On Easter Sunday no less!

Normally I'd respond to each person in kind, but I think that would get pretty cluttered at this point :LOL:, so I'll try to capture most everything here.

Interior quality comments:

Yeah, the GLI materials definitely felt a bit less premium than the GTI. Having said that though, I have to give VW credit for being pretty selective in where they cut corners. For instance, the driver doesn't really notice or touch most of the areas where they cheapened out. Most of the really cheap stuff is where you're not going to look, touch, or is in the back seat area. The only exception to this is the headlight selector switch. It looks like something from Hasbro or Mattel :sick: Most people probably won't care though: they're going to set it to auto, and never look at it again.

Despite those cheaper bits, I have to give the nod to the GLI for the interior. Yeah, it doesn't have plaid, and doesn't have the nicest materials, but the layout is better, with a good blend of analog and digital, with everything in the right place, and more features for the price. I also prefer the analog gauges on the GLI to the GTI. They're a little cleaner, being all in one face, kind of like a BMW. The different pods on the GTI are just a bit more busy looking, but most probably wouldn't notice or care unless you put them side by side.

Styling:

I could honestly go either way. The hatch just looks cool. Not going to deny it. But the sedan has some good lines that make it pretty elegant, sleek, and refined. Definitely more of a sleeper. You get your doors blown off by a hatchback, and people will probably know or recognize what's going on. Get your doors blown off by a sedan, and they'll have to be looking real hard to know what just happened. So for me, it's a toss up. The hatch is more usable, with more character, and the sedan is less usable, but more sleek. If I was pressed, I'd give the nod to the GTI (minus the halogen headlamps...).

Handling:

This is the biggest sticking point for me. A few of you alluded to it, but the GTI just has more of a "go kart" like feel as compared to the GLI, which (again) honestly surprised me considering how close all of the specs are. I mean, a new Civic Sport or Si has an inch longer wheelbase than the GLI, and feels massively more like a go kart, so it's got to be more to do with the weight, tires, or suspension.

StockBlockGLI mentioned it above, but if it really is just a question of getting on a different set of tires, than maybe the GLI can be made to feel like a GTI, with some weight reduction, stiffer sways, etc.

Stock though, the GTI definitely felt more fun to me.

Anyone on here done some more serious suspension upgrades or modifications for better handling to their GLI? I've searched, but haven't found much.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
There are only 2 mechanical differences between the GTI and GLI. One is being the rear brakes to fit the electronic parking brake and the second one are the taller sidewall tires. Everything else is interchangeable. What you are feeling are the tires. They are made for fuel efficiency and are not available on the GTI. If you shop for suspension or engine parts (outside of the exhaust, obviously due to length) they are exactly the same.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I mean the GLI is also MQB and also has VAQ + same engine so it IS very similar. It can drive just like a GTI with a simple RSB upgrade. I was really impressed with the 1.4T/8-speed Jetta loaner I had for 2 months while my Alltrack was in for the panoleak. I would be perfectly happy with a GLI, and I’ve owned 2 MK7 GTIs

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
There are only 2 mechanical differences between the GTI and GLI. One is being the rear brakes to fit the electronic parking brake and the second one are the taller sidewall tires. Everything else is interchangeable. What you are feeling are the tires. They are made for fuel efficiency and are not available on the GTI. If you shop for suspension or engine parts (outside of the exhaust, obviously due to length) they are exactly the same.
See, I figured that was the case. I took a casual glance at some of the parts microfiche for the GLI vs the GTI, and the underpinnings all seem to be about the same or are interchangeable. Strikes me that it should be very straightforward to do some serious upgrades.

Can the ESC be turned off in the GLI to the same degree as the GTI?

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
The ESC is exactly the same. Can’t completely defeat it, even on the Golf R. Maybe something like OBD11 can take care of that but I’m not sure as I never used it.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Gli interior doesn’t have led bulbs. That much I’ve noticed
Ok this is literally nit picking lol. I mean if LED bulbs matter that much, just swap them out yourself?

I did take a look on mods for the GLI and there's not nearly as much available. The rear brake calipers are smaller too on the GLI but given how the front does most of the work, it shouldn't matter unless you're tracking a lot and am an advanced driver on the track. I don't think there's even an aftermarket rear sway bar available either? At least not yet?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ok this is literally nit picking lol. I mean if LED bulbs matter that much, just swap them out yourself?

I did take a look on mods for the GLI and there's not nearly as much available. The rear brake calipers are smaller too on the GLI but given how the front does most of the work, it shouldn't matter unless you're tracking a lot and am an advanced driver on the track. I don't think there's even an aftermarket rear sway bar available either? At least not yet?
@Keehs360 knows that you can swap them out. He only posted a difference to show the OP.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

Figured it was worth mentioning considering the difference seems to rile some folks up

my GTI has led interior lights. Yet my gli’s non led lights are much much brighter at night. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
@Keehs360 knows that you can swap them out. He only posted a difference to show the OP.
I don’t see why u would swap them. The gli’s interior lights are way brighter than the gti’s

maybe vw is using shitty led’s. I dunno. But the gli is bright as shit at night.

but yeah. Wanted to explain another difference since some folks here swap to led’s and do all that coding on their golfs.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI

As I said, the difference is due to the electronic parking brake. As far as the the rear sway bar, same thing:

https://store.ngpracing.com/h-r-spo...vw-mk7-mk7-5-golf-gti-gli-fwd-sportwagen.html

The GLI is new and not available in the European market. That is why most websites have the outdated parts availability.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
As I said, the difference is due to the electronic parking brake. As far as the the rear sway bar, same thing:

https://store.ngpracing.com/h-r-spo...vw-mk7-mk7-5-golf-gti-gli-fwd-sportwagen.html

The GLI is new and not available in the European market. That is why most websites have the outdated parts availability.
Electronic parking brake shouldn't impact rear caliper size though. Golf R has electronic parking brake too and it has 310mm discs and the equivalent sized calipers.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Having had every year of the MK7 7.5 GTIs and now a GLI, IMO if you are considering only the GLI S then it’s an easy decision-get the GTI.