GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What stiffness did you set on your Koni Yellow rear struts?

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Hello,
Installing my Christmas rear yellows next week. The fronts were done a few months ago. My mods are MSS springs and 032 rear sway bar.
Since these aren’t easily dialed in once installed, I need advice on stiffness setting. Goal is comfort, no track. The car has a harsh ride and is bouncy front to rear on some roads. Thanks for the help.
Rick

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just experiment and find what works and what you like.

That's the point, it's not easy to adjust them,, so he wants a good starting point.

I haven't installed mine, but I did have them on my Miata. I will tell you that 90% of the increase in dampening force is within the first 50% of the adjustment range. If I remember correctly they were 2.5 turns lock to lock, so I would run 1 full turn from full soft on the street and full stiff on track, then back of the stop, Konis don't like to be run all full stiff against the stop.

So, long story short, I'd do 1 full turn from full soft on the rear.

Front are easy to adjust, my method is get up to 40 mph, and saw the wheel back and forth like you're doing a slalom. Start on full soft and slowly increase until it stops feeling sloppy.

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
There is a whole thread on this here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/koni-yellow-settings.348748/

This was a couple years ago and have never had a desire to change.

"I have the Koni yellows with VWR springs. My setting are 1/4 turn from full soft on front and 3/4 from full soft on rears. For reference two turns is full hard. Still comfortable and superior performance particularly in the rears. I have not experimented much with the setting as I am really happy with my initial settings."

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
3/4 from full soft is where I ended up on my R56S when it became full street duty.
From what I could tell on videos, the rear axles on the GTI are a bit easier to drop for adjustment than the mini. iirc, 1 turn back from full on my integra, but I was much much younger (and dumber) and had a much better back.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Thx for the replies.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
There is a whole thread on this here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/koni-yellow-settings.348748/

This was a couple years ago and have never had a desire to change.

"I have the Koni yellows with VWR springs. My setting are 1/4 turn from full soft on front and 3/4 from full soft on rears. For reference two turns is full hard. Still comfortable and superior performance particularly in the rears. I have not experimented much with the setting as I am really happy with my initial settings."
Thx for the link.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I turn up the rear rebound until I have nice controlled bump response from the rear springs. If the rear shoots up after a bump or dip, more rebound. If the rear does not move after the bump, less rebound, until you spine stops hurting.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
If I recall I am half turn up front and three quarter turn on the rear. The car feels great in conjunction with VWR springs and 034 Strut mounts.