GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What springs(or)coilovers are you running?

SionOnTheCob

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT TDi
I'm going back and forth on whether to go for budget ones or fork out big £££!!

Had budget coilovers a few years ago on the mk4. VERY bumpy!

SionOnTheCob

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT TDi
You get what you pay for.
True, especially with the likes of JOM. Stance+ seem to be pretty decent considering the price but sadly, they don't have any to fit the MK7

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
You could go a little unorthodox and run a lift kit with a lowering spring and some B8s. I'm looking at the Bearded detailer lift kit (BES kit) and Eibach pro springs with Bilstein B8s.

Should net out to being about a half inch to an inch drop. I'd have to double check the drop on the springs, but the lift kit adds an 1".
I don't know about this idea. You may raise the ground clearance of the car, but you will still have reduced shock travel. So you might not bottom out the car, but you will most certainly bottom out the shocks just like if you didn't have the lift kit.

Atleast for the front, if it is just a puck above the top hat of the strut. For the rear it will increase the overall travel of the shocks since it's probably a puck under (or over) the divorced spring.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I don't know about this idea. You may raise the ground clearance of the car, but you will still have reduced shock travel. So you might not bottom out the car, but you will most certainly bottom out the shocks just like if you didn't have the lift kit.

Atleast for the front, if it is just a puck above the top hat of the strut. For the rear it will increase the overall travel of the shocks since it's probably a puck under (or over) the divorced spring.
Not sure I follow.. B8s are made for lowering springs. The kit is pretty much that 2 1/2inch plates that bolt to the bottom of the strut mount and top of the strut that are bolted together rather than running a longer strut bolt that may snap. Rear is a spring perch, hence why only a few coilover kits work with it as most have their adjustments on the spring perch. Don't see how it would affect the front bottoming out unless I was running a OE or softer strut with the lowering spring. The rear you have a point, but I Could always mix and match to that front. Most do when they go for the full lift as the vendor recommends it, they'll switch to the Atlas rear shocks and mounts. I suppose I could switch to the Alltrack B8 on the rears.

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
Not sure I follow.. B8s are made for lowering springs. The kit is pretty much that 2 1/2inch plates that bolt to the bottom of the strut mount and top of the strut that are bolted together rather than running a longer strut bolt that may snap. Rear is a spring perch, hence why only a few coilover kits work with it as most have their adjustments on the spring perch. Don't see how it would affect the front bottoming out unless I was running a OE or softer strut with the lowering spring. The rear you have a point, but I Could always mix and match to that front. Most do when they go for the full lift as the vendor recommends it, they'll switch to the Atlas rear shocks and mounts. I suppose I could switch to the Alltrack B8 on the rears.
Missed the part about the B8s. My though was that you are not increasing the overall suspension travel, just raising ground clearance. And when you install lowering springs, on stock struts, you have the same suspension travel, but less travel to the lower bumper stomps.

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
i can't say enough about Open Road Tuning (ORT) coilovers. Ride quality is amazing!. i'm slammed on 255/40/17's and my car did absolutely amazing this past weekend at tail of the dragon. i would check them out.
wookie 1.jpg

Last edited:

glloyd100

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Alltrack
Running the ST X coilovers on my JSW. Very impressive ride quality. Close to stock ride but firmer, with No bounce eats the NYC bumps and potholes.
Eibach Pro kit on my GTI, good ride quality for springs, not to harsh, but some bounce over rough roads.