GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What springs(or)coilovers are you running?

PenIsland

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI 2020
As we all know the roads in the tristate area are absolutely trashed. So I'm just trying to get an idea of what suspension setup people are living with out here.

I'm definitely interested in peoples experiences with springs, as they're a much more affordable short term alternative than a coilover system

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I've been running stock shocks with EMD springs. Have had it for 25k miles and can't complain. Ride is very similar to stock. Little bouncy on big dips/bumps. But looking to upgrade to coilovers when my stock shocks give out.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I just swapped the H&R springs that were on the car when I bought it for the stock springs. Zero regrets. Car rides just like it should now. Before I would cringe at small dips in the road and potholes. They were painful. Not worth the look.

PenIsland

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI 2020
I just swapped the H&R springs that were on the car when I bought it for the stock springs. Zero regrets. Car rides just like it should now. Before I would cringe at small dips in the road and potholes. They were painful. Not worth the look.
Yikes. I daily the hell out my car and I would definitely love some drop (maybe half to three quarters of an inch) but I'm not tryna bottom out constantly while driving lol

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You could go a little unorthodox and run a lift kit with a lowering spring and some B8s. I'm looking at the Bearded detailer lift kit (BES kit) and Eibach pro springs with Bilstein B8s.

Should net out to being about a half inch to an inch drop. I'd have to double check the drop on the springs, but the lift kit adds an 1".

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Yikes. I daily the hell out my car and I would definitely love some drop (maybe half to three quarters of an inch) but I'm not tryna bottom out constantly while driving lol
It was ok look wise. Everyone talks about the gap, but it looked weird to me with the sides still stock gap and the top sitting on tire. I like how it looks even now.
You could go a little unorthodox and run a lift kit with a lowering spring and some B8s. I'm looking at the Bearded detailer lift kit (BES kit) and Eibach pro springs with Bilstein B8s.

Should net out to being about a half inch to an inch drop. I'd have to double check the drop on the springs, but the lift kit adds an 1".
Thats a great idea.

PenIsland

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI 2020

Ahhh that's definitely an option but it would almost be the same cost as some height adjustable bilsteins lmao

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Ahhh that's definitely an option but it would almost be the same cost as some height adjustable bilsteins lmao
Eh.. Depends on where you source from. Plus I'm GSW with 50mm knuckles so prices might vary a bit. If looking at a b14 it might be a little more expensive, but it'd be cheaper than b16s.

BES kit is 330ish, Eibachs are 250, b8s are 680 = 1260 if I buy the springs and b8s from FCP for the lifetime warranty on them. b14s are around $1,050. B16s run about $1,800.

Granted FCP may not be the best price, but I can replace them for just the cost of shipping 40-60k down the line if I want.

PenIsland

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI 2020
Eh.. Depends on where you source from. Plus I'm GSW with 50mm knuckles so prices might vary a bit. If looking at a b14 it might be a little more expensive, but it'd be cheaper than b16s.

BES kit is 330ish, Eibachs are 250, b8s are 680 = 1260 if I buy the springs and b8s from FCP for the lifetime warranty on them. b14s are around $1,050. B16s run about $1,800.

Granted FCP may not be the best price, but I can replace them for just the cost of shipping 40-60k down the line if I want.
I've been leaning towards b14's. It sounds nice to have the ability it raise the car during winter and drop it once roads are patched up

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Bilstein B8's with H&R sport springs and the Audi TT coil insulators in the rear. Should be about 1-1/4" drop up front, a little less in the rear.

It feels firmer, but it's not all that dissimilar to stock. Our roads are pretty trash but I haven't scraped or bounced off the bump stops yet. I am that guy actively avoiding potholes when I drive though.

A meatier tire helps with the gap a little as well. These are 234/40's

EDIT: Not sure why my gas filler lid is popped.

20210417_104731.jpg

CT GTI

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running Mountune52 lowering springs since December 2020. I like them. Like most lowering springs in race mode(DCC shocks) the car is very stiff on the street do to the stock shocks in race mode is designed for stock springs. Got a 30mm lowering which is great. I'm running 235/40R18 tires and wheels are +43 offset.

20210407_124502.jpg