GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What spark plugs?

gtifisherman

Passed Driver's Ed
I am due for a new set of spark plugs and am curious as to which I should purchase. I've done a search but could not find something specific to what I need to know. Car is 6mt running jb4 on map 3 (newest version) and a rev9 down pipe that I welded a high flow cat too. I usually mix a little e85 on top but not 100% of the time. I rarely do WOT runs and am more of a high speed backroads runner on the twisties. I've never noted issues on the stock plugs so is there any need to try something else? Would a colder plug offer any benefit? Just curious as to what others are running and if you have any recommendations. I definitely don't want the crazy expensive NGK race plugs, lol so there is that. Thanks in advance.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I am due for a new set of spark plugs and am curious as to which I should purchase. I've done a search but could not find something specific to what I need to know. Car is 6mt running jb4 on map 3 (newest version) and a rev9 down pipe that I welded a high flow cat too. I usually mix a little e85 on top but not 100% of the time. I rarely do WOT runs and am more of a high speed backroads runner on the twisties. I've never noted issues on the stock plugs so is there any need to try something else? Would a colder plug offer any benefit? Just curious as to what others are running and if you have any recommendations. I definitely don't want the crazy expensive NGK race plugs, lol so there is that. Thanks in advance.

I would ask George at BMS if I were you. I usually like to run whatever the tuner recommends.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
If you had an EQT tune they recommend the NGK racing plugs at $40 + each. And that's not necessary.

I would qualify as whatever my tuner tells me as necessary. They tune cars for a living and look at data logs every day. I do not. If they say that a certain type of spark plug helps with knock, even marginally I would buy them. But that’s just me, and everyone’s situation is different. If you could not justify those plugs financially then I would ask for an alternative.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would qualify as whatever my tuner tells me as necessary. They tune cars for a living and look at data logs every day. I do not. If they say that a certain type of spark plug helps with knock, even marginally I would buy them. But that’s just me, and everyone’s situation is different. If you could not justify those plugs financially then I would ask for an alternative.

It's not a matter of what I can afford vs what's a waste of money. They are trying to sell other parts to make more profit. I've seen several guys in this forum with over 500 HP and I've yet to see one who has those plugs.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It's not a matter of what I can afford vs what's a waste of money. They are trying to sell other parts to make more profit. I've seen several guys in this forum with over 500 HP and I've yet to see one who has those plugs.

If stage 2 that recommends $160 plug sets pulled 400hp on a GTI, I would buy them. But for a stage 2 that will barely break 300, that much for a set that needs to be replaced every 10k-15k, is completely unjustified.

Navi

Autocross Champion

I wouldn't say they are trying to make a profit. They recommended them to me as well and I picked them up local. A lot of people buying them aren't getting them direct through EQT. Other tuners have recommended this plug for their various tunes, including APR. I've seen good results with them so far. Not $160 results but enough results that I'll keep going with them. I did really like the Brisks which are pretty much on par with the NGK but they open up a significant amount pretty quickly.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1

Saying that they recommend expensive plugs just to profit off of it is quite a statement. EQT doesn’t even sell spark plugs, let alone the NGK Racing plugs you claim they recommend just to rip off customers.

I’m not saying you need these plugs to make power. What I am saying is if someone like Ed with hundreds of tuned GTIs under his belt recommends a product for my setup that he says is helpful I will purchase it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Saying that they recommend expensive plugs just to profit off of it is quite a statement. EQT doesn’t even sell spark plugs, let alone the NGK Racing plugs you claim they recommend just to rip off customers.

I’m not saying you need these plugs to make power. What I am saying is if someone like Ed with hundreds of tuned GTIs under his belt recommends a product for my setup that he says is helpful I will purchase it.

I did NOT say to "rip off customers". @Navi is the first person I've seen who is using them. I haven't seen anyone else pushing 400 HP + saying that they use them. But I've seen lots of guys saying they are using the Ruthenium or RS7 plugs which cost 1/4 as much and are happy with those.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon

I'm similar in all regards, except I run E30 all the time, and I'm using the Ruths (NGK 95125s). They run just fine. I've pulled them a couple times to check, look about like new after 15K. Did Brisks for a bit and they did fine too. May erode a little faster, but no biggie. In this power range, I doubt the need or benefit for a colder plug. The OEMs, Rutheniums, or Brisks were all around the same cost and all that I would (and most likely you too) need.

Last edited:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I did NOT say to "rip off customers". @Navi is the first person I've seen who is using them. I haven't seen anyone else pushing 400 HP + saying that they use them. But I've seen lots of guys saying they are using the Ruthenium or RS7 plugs which cost 1/4 as much and are happy with those.

You said “They are trying to sell other parts to make more profit.” I would define that is a rip off if it were true. Regardless I am not arguing happiness with your purchase. I am simply stating that I think it is wisest to do what your tuner recommends. Nothing else.

Not that it matters but I also believe JerseyDrew runs the NGK Racing plugs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You said “They are trying to sell other parts to make more profit.” I would define that is a rip off if it were true. Regardless I am not arguing happiness with your purchase. I am simply stating that I think it is wisest to do what your tuner recommends. Nothing else.

Not that it matters but I also believe JerseyDrew runs the NGK Racing plugs.

Those are your words. I like EQT and recommend them constantly and am getting a remote dyno tune from them. I was simply trying to tell anotero that he doesn't need the racing plugs for $160. Please don't twist my words with your definition of my meaning. If I thought someone was trying to rip someone off I would say so.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Chiming in. EQT Stage 2 and use the Ruthenium plugs. They were like $8/ea or something. They work perfect fine.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Those are your words. I like EQT and recommend them constantly and am getting a remote dyno tune from them. I was simply trying to tell anotero that he doesn't need the racing plugs for $160. Please don't twist my words with your definition of my meaning. If I thought someone was trying to rip someone off I would say so.

I did not mean to twist your words or step on any toes. I just think that it is wisest to run the plugs that the tuner recommends regardless. In my case I paid a premium for one of EQT’s tunes and you did too. I paid for their expertise in EA888 Gen 3 tuning for a reason and if they say that’s the spark plug I should run then that’s what I'll run. Paying that amount of money for someone to tune your car and then not take their advise just to save $100 is crazy to me. Let’s be honest saving $100 on these cars and the mods we do is a drop in the bucket anyway. But hey to each their own.