GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What size air line did you go with and why?

Air line size

• Total voters

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
My last two air ride setups (MK6 GTI and Jetta) I went 3/8” but now I’m considering downsizing to 1/4” simply for ease of install. Back when I bagged my last GTI around 2013ish, most people seemed to be running 3/8”, but now it looks like 1/4” is the more popular choice. What changed?

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I run 3/8s and my tank at 175psi with a level ride ecu....

What I’ve gathered for be the change is that people went with 1/4 for ease of install by thier shops but are fed the line that “unless you are trying to hop the car 1/4” is fine” lol. Then that became the normal thing to REPEAT as the internet does.

I went 3/8th and dealt with the extra work to route the lines cause I watch too many vids and seen cars inperson with 1/4” line and the dump and lift was too slow for me.

My fronts are still to slow for me to be honest because the braided leader lines all come in 1/4” so the last 12”s that feed my front bags get bottled down and you can see the cars front lift and drop slower. I still need
To make some custom ones- I’m planning to make them with 8- an lines.

Edit: btw - there’s only like 2-3 members that are active with air ride lol- so you won’t get many current/first handed responses, lol. 85% of members are- “rear sway bar, tires, EQTEQTEQT ots, dogbone mount - performance car build done. 😂

It’s replaced the “I got bags, wheels and now my show car build is done” era with modern vws, lol

Last edited:

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
It’s a shame because these cars looks so good laid out, IMO. Back in the day it seemed like EVERYONE on Vortex was bagged. I moved over to here because this forum seemed more active but I only ever see the same five or six people posting on here and it’s always about engine/performance mods and that’s it.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
85% of members are- “rear sway bar, tires, EQTEQTEQT ots, dogbone mount - performance car build done.
Look man I need my 2.0 turbo-charged VW with the same HP as a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder to be GAP ready for those Hondas.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Decided to stick with 3/8" since the last two systems I did I used it and it worked out just fine.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Look man I need my 2.0 turbo-charged VW with the same HP as a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder to be GAP ready for those Hondas.
Both 2 liter turbo fwd cars. The spyder was hindered by a comically small factory turbo and the extra weight from bracing due to the lack of roof. While lacking the fit and finish of the current golf the dsm cars were light years ahead in tuneability compared to most cars of the time. I’m still chasing the power my 95 gsx made when I sold it back in 08.

To answer the OP, 3/8 looks better in hardline but 1/4 is way easier to route behind the scenes. IMO unless you’re exercising the system at every available moment 3/8 is overkill. My mk6 was originally on 3/8 and I switched over to 1/4 and for my usage there was no appreciable difference. When I bagged my Mk7 I also went with 1/4 and had no regrets.
Pics for clicks.

Attachments

• 3341F4F3-9A54-4EF6-BCFD-B2057604C5F2.jpeg
    3341F4F3-9A54-4EF6-BCFD-B2057604C5F2.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 620F7542-1614-4230-977C-8C7BB73C6546.jpeg
    620F7542-1614-4230-977C-8C7BB73C6546.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 71