GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What R.......my options

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Hi Guys,

Currently have a remapped GTD & I have an itch that needs scratching:eek:. My GTD is no slouch & has shown up so called faster cars. All that info is contained in my remapped GTD thread 220 bhp 500 nm of torque...

But... I really want a Golf R. I will be picking my next car in the next 6 mths & the Golf R is going to be my next.

Already looking at getting the R remapped, but want around 400 bhp & over 500nm of toque. So how much is that going to cost & are there any already remapped? Looking for a 0-60 time of less than 4 secs & car that will get to 100 in less than 10 secs.

Really considering the estate, but the non led rears is really putting me off.

So, I think it will be a 5 door. Un sure of what colour yet.

The one thing I cant decide in is manual or dsg. I have owned both and love how both drive.

Guys, any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Rappy:cool:

vidman

Ready to race!
Why not wait for R400 to be released early next year, may even be possible to get an early deposit down at at friendly dealer - supposed to be 3.7/3.9 to 62

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
Hi Guys,

Currently have a remapped GTD & I have an itch that needs scratching:eek:. My GTD is no slouch & has shown up so called faster cars. All that info is contained in my remapped GTD thread 220 bhp 500 nm of torque...

But... I really want a Golf R. I will be picking my next car in the next 6 mths & the Golf R is going to be my next.

Already looking at getting the R remapped, but want around 400 bhp & over 500nm of toque. So how much is that going to cost & are there any already remapped? Looking for a 0-60 time of less than 4 secs & car that will get to 100 in less than 10 secs.

Really considering the estate, but the non led rears is really putting me off.

So, I think it will be a 5 door. Un sure of what colour yet.

The one thing I cant decide in is manual or dsg. I have owned both and love how both drive.

Guys, any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Stage II for the mk7 R should put you right about 400bhp. That's a turbo back, intake, and tune. Someone posted not too long ago with their stage 2 making right about ~400. Should get you about 400ft lbs too (>500nm).

Cost depends on where you go, but it'll be over $2000.

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
Also, the DSG will be faster 0-60 than the manual (even for pro shifters). And just a stage one map should put you under 4 seconds.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Stage II for the mk7 R should put you right about 400bhp. That's a turbo back, intake, and tune. Someone posted not too long ago with their stage 2 making right about ~400. Should get you about 400ft lbs too (>500nm).

Cost depends on where you go, but it'll be over $2000.

Intake/downpipe/tune. You don't have to replace the exhaust.
Here in the states, stage 2 is about 400 intake/800 downpipe/700 tune.

UM claims more than 400 lb/ft for their non-downpipe tune. Like most tuners, it is probably optimistic, but I'd bet it's close. That's more than 500 nm

And if you're all about times, definitely go DSG. I love my manual, but I know it's not as quick as a comparable DSG.

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
Intake/downpipe/tune. You don't have to replace the exhaust.
Here in the states, stage 2 is about 400 intake/800 downpipe/700 tune.

Stage II should be downpipe and high flow cat. You could use that with the existing pipes, but you'd probably need an adapter to connect the smaller stock pipes to the high flow piping. Might as well go full turbo back at that point.

Thanks. Is yours running a remap? I guess you are DSG?

I'm still in the theoretical stage of modding ;). I have a 10 year, 200,000 mile warranty that I'd like to get some mileage (literally) out of. Been doing lots of research on products as they've been coming out.

Also, I have a 6MT model. I'm not as concerned about times, 1-60/100 or 1/4. I'll probably track a little but it'll be mostly autox anyway. If I were concerned about times, I would have looked for a DSG. As it is, the manual is far more fun for me and that's what matters.

I posted here about the DSG vs Manual comparison.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Seen my first Golf R estate on the road today. This car really needs LED rear lights & for this reason alone, I dont think it will be the estate. Also, I think it looks a little to subtle for me.

So that's the body type sorted 5 door it is. :D.

Really struggling with dsg or manual. Need to really try & drive both. Having owned both it's going to be a hard choice this time round.

Colour wise, I would love the carbon grey next. On the R this is not an option:(. But I have to say I do love my GTD in white.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Seen my first Golf R estate on the road today. This car really needs LED rear lights & for this reason alone, I dont think it will be the estate. Also, I think it looks a little to subtle for me.

Well, you could do what those of us on this side of the Atlantic who want LED's on our one-flavor-5-door R's are doing, and install the LED taillights ourselves. And, since you can order them directly from your local VW dealer, and not have to pay to have them imported by a middleman, though you'll still need to add some wiring for them--here's a US company who makes a wiring harness for the conversion: https://deutscheautoparts.com/mk7-golf-gti-led-taillight-harness.html

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Well, you could do what those of us on this side of the Atlantic who want LED's on our one-flavor-5-door R's are doing, and install the LED taillights ourselves. And, since you can order them directly from your local VW dealer, and not have to pay to have them imported by a middleman, though you'll still need to add some wiring for them--here's a US company who makes a wiring harness for the conversion: https://deutscheautoparts.com/mk7-golf-gti-led-taillight-harness.html

Thanks for that. I think the R has the right balance of understated. But the R estate is a little to subtle for me.

Mine is in for a service in a few weeks & I hope to get a look at one at the dealership.

I will be adding a fair few dealer options this time.

So far it will be

5 dr. The rest is all still TBC

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Thanks for that. I think the R has the right balance of understated. But the R estate is a little to subtle for me.

Mine is in for a service in a few weeks & I hope to get a look at one at the dealership.

I will be adding a fair few dealer options this time.

So far it will be

5 dr. The rest is all still TBC

Must be nice to HAVE options for the R. :) About all we can choose is color, transmission and with/without DCC&Nav package.

We only get one choice of wheels. No sunroof. No 2-door. No LED Tails, etc.... haha.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Yes, it's strange how market spec is v different.

Uk Golf gets 18" wheels, but think I may go for the 19". Also bi-xenon & led drl's and tail/ number plate lights.

So far, I'm looking at adding...

19" alloys
Panroof
Dynaudio hifi
Winter pack
Keyless & nav. I'm not sure if this now std on the R as it is on the GTD & GTI.
And a stage 1 remap:D

Considering DCC

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Yes, it's strange how market spec is v different.

Uk Golf gets 18" wheels, but think I may go for the 19". Also bi-xenon & led drl's and tail/ number plate lights.

So far, I'm looking at adding...

19" alloys
Panroof
Dynaudio hifi
Winter pack
Keyless & nav. I'm not sure if this now std on the R as it is on the GTD & GTI.
And a stage 1 remap:D

Considering DCC

We only get the Cadiz rims. The 18" on the R without DCC/Nav and 19" on the higher end model.