GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What oil to top GTi up with?

Maka344

Ready to race!
I have done 2.3k since new and I checked a few weeks ago and the oil was fine. I've just checked now and I can start to see a few little dots at the top of the dip stick.

I have the following oil:

Shell Helix ultra AV-L
5w-30
Vw 504 00/507 00

Is this the same oil as what's in there from new? And is it fine to top up with?

Thanks.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I can’t say what oil Brand VW uses. On my Golf oil cap it’s written “Castrol” (2 months old car). Since it’s the same spec. 504 00 / 507 00 you can use Shell oil. It’s compatible with other oils with the same spec. as Castrol Edge FST 5w-30 504 00 / 507 00.

As you write it’s good to let the engine stand for a couple of minutes, (the car of cause on horizontal ground :)).

/Peter

Maka344

Ready to race!
Thank you.

I bought castrol 5w/30 FST. Is this the correct oil for my gti? My service is on a 10k interval.

Is this oil suitable for diesels too?

Maka344

Ready to race!
I want to check what oil to use, having checked the service sticker it appears that I have code QI6 which means a 20k flexible service is enabled from the factory with long life oil, is this correct?

I have the following 1ltr top up oils:

Shell Helix ultra AV-L
5w-30
Vw 504 00/507 00

Castrol Edge FST (what is FST?)
5w-30
Fully Synthetic
VW 504 00/507 00

The manual states to top up with VW 504 00 if on long life, both the Shell and Castrol oil says vw504 00/507 00. However, the manual says 502 00 if on a 10k fixed plan.

Is it safe to assume that Castrol FST is fine to top up with? I'm worried about mixing long and short life oils together.

Last edited:

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Regarding FST = “Fluid Strength Technology”. If you have 507 00 / 504 00 spec. its fine.

Both our VW:s have “longlife” setting in the computer. I will change oil + filter by my self when reaching about 10k km, or at half the distance for reaching Longlife service since it’s to much to drive 30k km / 20k miles without service. I will use Castrol oil (longlife), not the cheaper alternative 502 00 as they use with fixed plan.

Your GTI – Was it set for 20k miles from the beginning (then I suppose you have longlife oil), have your dealer changed it to 10k?

/Peter

Last edited:
All cars come in set up for long life servicing. GTi's and GTD's filled with 5W-30, VW 507.00 spec. fully synthetic oil. Best to keep to this spec. for topping up, but mixing oil manufacturer should not be a problem. VAG use Castrol oils.

Maka344

Ready to race!
That's great and was causing my original confusion

When vw change the service type, do they then use short life oil or just use long life and reset the computer to a 10k distance service?

I wouldn't want them to service my car and I top up with different oil grades. They are yet to service my new gti. Thanks.

When vw change the service type, do they then use short life oil or just use long life and reset the computer to a 10k distance service?

Good question! Seems to be down to the dealer, but, given the price difference (on the High Street anyway) some will use the lower spec. stuff. Best ask, to be sure.

GeoBog

Ready to race!
For the ones that had top up oil in the boot from the dealers, what type of Castrol Edge 5w30 was it? Was it Professional Long Life 3 or FST?

Does anybody know if there is any difference between Castrol Edge Professional Longlife 3 5W30 and Castrol Edge 5w30 FST? I've had a look on Castrol's website and I couldn't find the Longlife version and for my reg number it says it's recommended the FST version.

If the car came set up for longlife (I assume it's got Longlife 3 5w30 oil now) is it ok to top up with FST 5w30?

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
For the ones that had top up oil in the boot from the dealers, what type of Castrol Edge 5w30 was it? Was it Professional Long Life 3 or FST?

Does anybody know if there is any difference between Castrol Edge Professional Longlife 3 5W30 and Castrol Edge 5w30 FST? I've had a look on Castrol's website and I couldn't find the Longlife version and for my reg number it says it's recommended the FST version.

If the car came set up for longlife (I assume it's got Longlife 3 5w30 oil now) is it ok to top up with FST 5w30?

FST - Yes, you can use this oil. Same as "Long Life".

/Peter

Grim1

Dealer gave me Mobil 1 ESP top up bottle with the car, VW does recommend castrol,but doesn't matter what brand is used as long as it meets spec 504.00 (petrol) or 507.00 (diesel) dealers probably don't use castrol, a lot of them have 205L shell drums.

The VW507.00 spec. 5W-30 oil is required for all current top end turbo engines in the VAG ranges, on the extended service schedule. They are all delivered with the engine filled with that oil. Used to be that diesels and petrols had different spec. oil, but the top spec. synthetic seems to cater for them all now.