GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What oil do you run?

Albee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Another vote for Liqui moly Leichtauf 5w-40. I've done 5,000 mile interval since new. Twice in 70,000 miles I didn't have time to order the kit and used Castrol bought locally, both times I had to add a quart before 5,000 miles. I've not added oil using Liqui Moly, I use the left over from the sixth quart in my small engines.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I thought the go-to was Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5W-40? That's what I'm running...
You certainly can't go wrong with it. That's all I've run in my last two VW's. My 2016 MK7 is at 72K miles now, I've never had to add oil between changes. It helps a little when you're the world's greatest driver like I am, but it's great oil regardless.

JonnyTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Motul 5w40 X-cess gen2 --- changed every 10-12000 Km

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm running Liqui Moly Synthoil 0w-40. I like running 0W because it flows well when cold and to my knowledge performs just as well at high temps (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have run this oil in my EA888.2 that's in my B8.5 A4 for the last 60k+ miles using a 5k interval and it doesn't burn oil like most B8s with almost 120k on the clock so it felt like the right move with the GTI.

That said, as my GTI is seeing track time that the A4 does not, and will be getting an upgraded turbo in the near future, I think I'll look into switching oil, at least for summer when I won't benefit from running 0W.
Interesting...not many run this oil...it's a bit older BUT has a fully-synthetic base stock...one of the few LM oils that can be labeled as "Vollsynthetisches" in Germany (Leichtlauf High Tech is synthetic but has <50% PAO/Group 4 base so in Germany, this can't be labeled as a full syn oil). It however does't have the VW502 00 approval which the more common/popular Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 has. The zero winter rating vs. five is likey not in play unless you live where it is extremely cold (as in -30 etc.).

19birel

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Interesting...not many run this oil...it's a bit older BUT has a fully-synthetic base stock...one of the few LM oils that can be labeled as "Vollsynthetisches" in Germany (Leichtlauf High Tech is synthetic but has <50% PAO/Group 4 base so in Germany, this can't be labeled as a full syn oil). It however does't have the VW502 00 approval which the more common/popular Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 has. The zero winter rating vs. five is likey not in play unless you live where it is extremely cold (as in -30 etc.).
The Group 4 base was a big draw to the Synthoil for me; even at 20-30 degrees the 0w flows better, whether it's making a major difference though idk as I don't have any oil analysis data. In the winter my oil barely gets up to temp on my commute so I figured running an 0W certainly wouldn't hurt. That said even in warmer temps the 0W oil has a higher viscosity index making it's performance more consistent across temp ranges. As far as it not having the VW502 00 approval, being that it's a high quality group 4 oil that didn't concern me as I figure it likely meets the specs but wasn't tested. I don't think VW officially recommends 0W-40 for their current engines so they likely never tested it for that approval as a result.

I recently found that Motul offers their 300v as an 0W-40 so I might give that a try next. It's designed for track/street use and supposedly more resilient to higher temps; still reading up on it though...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The Group 4 base was a big draw to the Synthoil for me; even at 20-30 degrees the 0w flows better, whether it's making a major difference though idk as I don't have any oil analysis data. In the winter my oil barely gets up to temp on my commute so I figured running an 0W certainly wouldn't hurt. That said even in warmer temps the 0W oil has a higher viscosity index making it's performance more consistent across temp ranges. As far as it not having the VW502 00 approval, being that it's a high quality group 4 oil that didn't concern me as I figure it likely meets the specs but wasn't tested. I don't think VW officially recommends 0W-40 for their current engines so they likely never tested it for that approval as a result.

I recently found that Motul offers their 300v as an 0W-40 so I might give that a try next. It's designed for track/street use and supposedly more resilient to higher temps; still reading up on it though...
Also consider Mobil 1 0W40, that is basically race car oil, more PAO/Group 4 than most of the ones folks use, and is tried/true.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I've been happy with Castrol EDGE Euro 0w40, has group 4 and always test well in UOAs. I change at 5k. Let one run long and I could tell it was getting thicker which just didn't feel like the motor was as free. Try to stay at 5-6k though longer intervals probably doesn't show more wear per mile. If you go to Bob's the oil guy, it's one of the best in terms of used oil analysis/wear particles. I suspect it doesn't damp engine sounds as well as Leichlauf with Moly but that doesn't concern me. Tests as well as Motul etc.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've been happy with Castrol EDGE Euro 0w40, has group 4 and always test well in UOAs. I change at 5k. Let one run long and I could tell it was getting thicker which just didn't feel like the motor was as free. Try to stay at 5-6k though longer intervals probably doesn't show more wear per mile. If you go to Bob's the oil guy, it's one of the best in terms of used oil analysis/wear particles. I suspect it doesn't damp engine sounds as well as Leichlauf with Moly but that doesn't concern me. Tests as well as Motul etc.

BITOGer here.

Last edited:

19birel

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Also consider Mobil 1 0W40, that is basically race car oil, more PAO/Group 4 than most of the ones folks use, and is tried/true.
That's actually what I put in my trusty old MK4 Golf, though admittedly that was just a spur of the moment Autozone purchase that I knew I could trust, I didn't really research it much. Good to know it's a well regarded choice though, especially since it can be found at most parts store unlike the LM I have to order