GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What mods weren't worth it AND ended up costing you a lot of money in repair costs

cb1111

I'll start:

I bought a new 1996 Yukon. Great car but my local speed shop (this was before Google and Altavista and Ask Jeeves were the search engines) recommended that I install a performance ignition kit that also included all new wires.

I noticed no difference but talked myself into thinking it made a difference in gas mileage.

At about 90k miles the car didn't start. I towed it to a garage and they diagnosed a faulty fuel pump. The pump worked but it was intermittent so a new one went in.

A few weeks later it stopped again. This time in the parking garage at work. Two tow trucks showed up to get me out - the first to get me out of the garage and the second to drag me to the dealer. The next morning the dealer calls and tells me - all is OK, it started right up. We checked it through and found a slightly loose ground.

A week later it wouldn't start when I came out of the supermarket. It started the next morning at the dealer.

A short while later I had a bit of stumbling going up hills. Dealer diagnosed a bad fuel pump again, but decided to hook me up to a diagnostic tool for a few weeks. They saw the stumbling but couldn't track it down.

They change to pump again. A week later the same problem.

The dealer has given up, I'm pulling my hair out because it can be running perfectly one minute, get shut off and won't start again.

Long story short, it was the distributor cap cable from that super-duper ignition kit that went bad.

Probably cost me $1000 in diagnostics and unnecessary repairs.

Last edited:

cdubbgti911

Ready to race!
well for me it was Stage 2 for both my mk6 and mk7 GTI. My mk6 GTI ended up getting a bent rod...needed to buy a replacement salvage engine and rebuilt motor with stronger internals roughly ~10k in repairs/build. My mk7 GTI ended up getting a hole in the piston. Bought I.E. Rods/Pistons and rebuilt motor and roughly ~10k in repairs/build. All in all both cars were stage 2 before catastrophic failure. With all the mods plus ~25-30k in mods/repairs later. Wouldn't say either one was "worth" it. As the saying goes, you have to pay to play. If I could go back in time I'd just drive my 2008 Honda Accord save the money and buy either an M3/M4/RS3. That way I wouldn't have to spend so much money on just making the car as fast as I want it to be lol.

adam1991

Banned
Long story short, it was the distributor cap cable from that super-duper ignition kit that went bad.

Always half split the problem, always start with the cheap parts, and always start off with the concept of "is it plugged in and is it turned on?".

cb1111

Always half split the problem, always start with the cheap parts, and always start off with the concept of "is it plugged in and is it turned on?".
Yep. It was an intermittent fault. We must have plugged and unplugged that wire a dozen times.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Similar thread too for reference, MK7 specific. Not sure if youre going for that or for just general mods for any car

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

JB1 cost me 30 bucks extra because I broke the clip on one of the plugs and had to get it replaced