GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What issues are "only" this car that are also problems with other cars?

cb1111

This post was inspired by the "replaced my windshield" post.

What issues to we believe are inherent to the MK VII but in reality are the same issues that are complained about on other cars. If you know the cause, then please post that as well.

Let me start

"Soft", easily chipped windshields - BMW, Acura, Honda, Mercedes boards
  • Probable cause or contributing factor - pedestrian safety and crash requirements

"soft" paint, often complained about on darker colors - all of the above
  • Probable cause or contributing factor - water based paints required by environmental concerns

Tires that "bubble" easily - all of the above

• Probable cause or contributing factor - larger wheels and lower profile tires combined with deteriorating roads.

I'm sure there are lots more - discuss

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
You can add "Interior trim rattle" to the list. I find this issue across other OEMs as well.

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
You can add "Interior trim rattle" to the list. I find this issue across other OEMs as well.

This is why I hate sunroofs in particular and wish manufacturers would leave them off or at least make them an option on higher trim levels. From my cursory look sunroof rattles don't seem to be a huge issue on the GTIs...seems like the biggest issue is cracking of the frame which is "resolved" by using foil tape.

Sunroofs seem to be the biggest nuisance and I'm not sure of any manufacturer that actually gets them right. Whether its cracks, leaks, rattles or some combination of the three...sunroofs just aren't worth the headache. And yet for some reason people keep wanting them on their cars.

So add sunroofs to the list of problems that plague ever car manufacturer.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
This is why I hate sunroofs in particular and wish manufacturers would leave them off or at least make them an option on higher trim levels. From my cursory look sunroof rattles don't seem to be a huge issue on the GTIs...seems like the biggest issue is cracking of the frame which is "resolved" by using foil tape.

Sunroofs seem to be the biggest nuisance and I'm not sure of any manufacturer that actually gets them right. Whether its cracks, leaks, rattles or some combination of the three...sunroofs just aren't worth the headache. And yet for some reason people keep wanting them on their cars.

So add sunroofs to the list of problems that plague ever car manufacturer.

Even though i personally didn have sunroof issues in particular, i have come across several threads with that issue. I had my vehicle taken care by the TSB issued. But nevertheless, i am not a big fan of them.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Sunroof leaks are the worst part, not the creaks.... it should absolutely be an a la carte option. If i couldve gotten my rims from the sport, with no sunroof and no leather, id have paid for an autobahn for navi/dcc. SO i agree, a la carte for the win!

We should maybe link back to the threads with these lists on them? Re-editing the OP post with the new info?

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
No warranty issues for 18 months. Paint/body panel alignment all good. Nothing sqeaking or rattling nor worth complaining about. Phucker gets mid 30’s on the hwy, is cheap cost to entry, and a blast to drive.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
- Crappy paint thats as delicate as tissue.
- Delicate windshield as well. Although its also taken a number of good shots and it came out unscathed.
- Rattles in the dash.
- Creaky front suspension
- MIB II crashes occasionally

Never had any of these issues with our Toyotas and Hondas. But I still love this car more than any of them. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk