GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is your opinion about wagons?

What is your opinion about wagons (not just VW, but in general)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I love wagons, but to this point have never owned one. I do know for a fact if I reach a point in my life that I am forced to get a bigger car for hauling kids and whatnot, it'll be a wagon and not an SUV

Side note, and possibly a dumb question, do the GSW and AT have more rear passenger room than a Golf or GTI? Or are the passenger dimensions the same?

Rear leg room is the same. The extra wheelbase contributes to the increased boot size.

To add to @Dog Dad Wagon the MK7/7.5 GSW and AT are on the same MQB platform. The only difference is about an extra foot graphed on the boot. Otherwise all but identical to golf/GTI/R body. As such, modifying this platform with OEM upgrade parts has been super enjoyable. I am looking forward to getting my golfR take-off brakes mounted up this spring.

I do love the snow, but looking forward to this spring/summer.

Here's a couple of my favorite winter photos from various points in my ownership/modification.

The Golf estate is the same as the platform/car/etc as the Golf hatch from front of car to the rear of the rear wheel arch....the whole of the inside is the same from the front to the rear of the rear seat.....the rear door is the same below the glass.....& the roofline is the same to the rear of the front door. So its the roof after the front door, the sides from the rear side door glass & the floor after the rear seat that are different.

The mechanicals are the same between hatch & estate, straight swap.......only differences is the estate has different rear exhaust to hatch. ...

Hatch has four bodies as the boot floor has to make room for the AWD coupling, so 2WD or AWD & pano or no pano,

Estate only has two bodies:- with pano, or without pano.....(due to more room after rear axle spare the wheel well does not intrude into AWD space)

As far as Alltrack/GSW... ..its the same car, just with taller springs & body add on trim in black plastic...

The specifications of alu or steel hub carriers is not a design difference to state that its a different car, its just spec & local market ordering. In Europe & UK Alltrack is sold as a trim level of the Golf estate, same as GTD/R are. usually lower power outputs have steel. Alu is on all high power engines, all brakes of 312mm & above & on all cars with optional DCC. (even if car is a low powered engine with steel hub carriers, the factory option of DCC converts the car to alu with 312mm discs also as I only found that out later on otherwise I would have ordered it!)

wesg

Car(s)
2018 Sportwagen
I'm a wagon guy. I drive an '18 GSW 4Motion DSG, which replaced a B5 A4 Avant 5M. This is the first automatic that I've owned and I often miss the manual.

I had the A4 for 20 years, since new; K04 with GIAC, Neuspeed springs and bars, Bilsteins, Boxster frt brakes. Found out that the guy I sold it to rolled it last summer, bummer.

My wife drives a '17 GSW 4Motion DSG, which replaced an '03 Passat 1.8T Tip wagon.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I'm a wagon guy. I drive an '18 GSW 4Motion DSG, which replaced a B5 A4 Avant 5M. This is the first automatic that I've owned and I often miss the manual.

I had the A4 for 20 years, since new; K04 with GIAC, Neuspeed springs and bars, Bilsteins, Boxster frt brakes. Found out that the guy I sold it to rolled it last summer, bummer.

My wife drives a '17 GSW 4Motion DSG, which replaced an '03 Passat 1.8T Tip wagon.

My buddy still has his A4 that he bought new in 99. Oettinger body kit, Oettinger wheels, and KW coilovers. I told him that if he ever decides to sell it...to sell it to me. He was bent that in 2000 the A4 went through a facelift and got the one piece headlights.

wesg

Car(s)
2018 Sportwagen
My GSW is Pure White. When the White Silver first came out, I was living in Seattle area. In cloudy grey Seattle area, that color looked really drab. In the bright sun of Las Vegas, love that color.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
If my GTI wasn't so close in price new compared to a used 4Motion GSW, I would have picked a wagon instead. I've always been a fan of the wagon body.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
A505796C-25B9-4B27-861A-DE98B62B1D1E.jpeg

Got my B5.5 back from the shop today. H&R Wagon Springs and Bilstein OE Dampers installed.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If my GTI wasn't so close in price new compared to a used 4Motion GSW, I would have picked a wagon instead. I've always been a fan of the wagon body.
How is that possible...my 4Mo GSW was $19K new.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Mine with 4Motion and DAP was 22k.
Yes but he is saying a new GTI was a better deal than a used GSW w/4Motion - either way, that GSW should have been cheaper.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Yes but he is saying a new GTI was a better deal than a used GSW w/4Motion - either way, that GSW should have been cheaper.
Absolutely.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
How is that possible...my 4Mo GSW was $19K new.

COVID closeout on a 2019 model (that included 0% interest and free service for 5 years), and getting a referral discount from a friend who worked for the auto group that had VW in it. Used market is also insane. The GTI (with DSG and DAP) was 25k USD before taxes, and a 2019 Highline GSW 4mo that is low mileage CPO is 23k (there probably wasn't going to be any wiggle room with the referral). So, the price difference and cake on top from VW was worth justifying the GTI.